You have goat to try this new yoga

Goats were one of the first animals to be tamed by humans and were being herded 9,000 years ago.

Lianys Olmeda, Staff Writer

Goat yoga has become an unlikely trend that has taken the country by storm. By mixing the relaxation of yoga with the cuteness of baby goats, these classes have attracted people and inspired the creation of goat yoga classes everywhere. This phenomenon begs the question, how did it start and who is the genius behind this adorable new way to destress? Well, it all started in Albany, Oregon by Muskegon native Lainey Morse on her own farm with just 10 goats. Lainey says, “I hosted something…called ‘goat happy hour,’ and that was basically people coming over who were stressed or sick, the goats would help people forget about everything.” During one of these events, yoga instructor Heather Davis approached Morse and came up with the idea of mixing in yoga to make this “happy hour” even better, Morse agreed and started goat yoga classes in August 2016. Business grew so much that Morse quit her marketing job and had to move the yoga classes from her farm to an inn and vineyard nearby. In fact, by the time January came she had a 1,200 person wait list for her goat yoga classes, and even people from outside the U.S. came to these classes.

These adorable animals helped cheer up Morse in her own life. Morse suffers from an immune system disorder called Sjogren’s syndrome, which generally causes pain in the joints and muscles amongst other symptoms. She was going through a rough time in her life where she was diagnosed with said disorder and going through a divorce. During this time, she would come home from work, go out to her farm and sit with her goats. They would help her stay positive and forget about everything, which then inspired her to share this happiness with others. Furthermore, goats are the perfect therapy animals because they “don’t need a bond with a human. A stranger can walk in a barn, and a goat will come up to you and want to nuzzle you and be pet,” Morse said. Thus, the wonderful phenomenon of goat yoga was born and continues to grow today. If you want to try goat yoga yourself, you can go to Grady Goat Yoga Tampa Bay in Thonotosassa, Florida!

• You have goat to try this new yoga

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• You have goat to try this new yoga

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• You have goat to try this new yoga

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

• You have goat to try this new yoga

You have goat to try this new yoga