School lunches around the world

Savannah Henslee, Staff Writer

It is well known that in America we do not always have great school lunches being offered to students. In fact, most school lunches are terribly unhealthy in America. This is, in part, because the funding for schools when it comes to lunches is fairly low which makes getting healthy food options hard and, in some cases, even impossible. But, is it really impossible? There are other countries that are able to give their students healthy, nutritious lunches. One example is Japan where all the children eat in the classroom and help with clean up after. They have students take turns bringing in and serving food to their fellow classmates. These meals are made daily from fresh ingredients that are often found locally.

Then you have France, where they take school lunches as seriously as they do other classes. They allow a full hour to even two hours in some schools for lunch. Students in most schools are served full five course meals every day. They are taught how to eat properly and with proper manners. There is no “kid-oriented food,” meaning the children eat the same things the adults would eat.

In India, they have a free lunch plan in most schools that provide foods and things to give them the energy and nutrients they need, such as, vegetables, cereals, soups, and milk.

Finland and Sweden also do the free lunches in many of their schools. They have it where the students serve themselves food. Their lunches are set up in a buffet style that allows the students to pick what they have for lunch. They are given healthy options that come in a variety of nourishing food.

One country’s way is not necessarily better than another’s and many have things that could be improved. In America we need more lunch choices that are fresh, healthy and nourishing.

• School lunches around the world

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• School lunches around the world

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• School lunches around the world

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

• School lunches around the world

School lunches around the world