That’s not how I remember it

Where did it come from?

That’s not how I remember it

Fun Fact: The monopoly icon actually does not have a monocle even though most people remember him having one.

Kinou Louis-Charles, Ad Manager

“That’s not how I remember it.” It’s something that you would say when the recorded events don’t match up your memory, when your brain is convinced that a set of events occurred in one certain way but in reality, they didn’t occur at all. It’s called the Mandela effect, the term people use to reference their powerful memories that don’t match our recorded history. The phrase Mandela effect was coined by Fiona Broome, who was amongst the large number of people who claimed to have memories of Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s than dying from illness in 2013. It’s a strange and random occurrence, but it’s not exactly rare. There are multiple people who have the same false memories but have no idea where they come from. Are you a victim of the Mandela effect?

The movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out as an animated film in 1938 and has seeped its way into childhoods for generations, but what if you were told that one of the most iconic lines in the movie was misheard along? We all recall the scene where the Evil Queen is speaking to the mirror as “mirror, mirror on the wall,” but it is actually “magic mirror on the wall.” A slight change in your childhood memory but still large enough to make you go “really?” Well yes, even though in references to the well-known scene people utter “mirror, mirror” and movie titles have been named after the legendary line, the Evil Queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs never says “mirror, mirror.”

Let’s take a step back from Snow White and travel to a galaxy far, far away. A galaxy where even then people heard what wasn’t there. So, what was the line this time? “Luke, I am your father.” The phrase was actually: “No, I am your father.” It’s strange to think this is true, but it is. Don’t worry you were the only one who was fooled; even the actor that played Darth Vader, James Earl himself, believed he said the line, “Luke, I am your father.”

Straying away from surprised plot twist in Sci-Fi movies, let’s check out the legendary band Queen. Queen was at its prime time during the 70s and 80s and then resurfaced again this past year after the movie Bohemian Rhapsody came out last November. One of Queen’s most well-known songs was “We Are the Champions,” and some would even call it their favorite, but how well do you know the song if you were probably wrong on how it ended the whole time? Everyone knows the ending lyric, “We are the champions, of the world,” but what they don’t know is that it’s wrong. In the recorded version of the famous Queen hit, the song ends as just, “we are the champions,” and that’s it; the second line is never said at the end of the song. It shocks some people to find out they have been wrong about their favorite movies and songs but spooks them to realize they have no idea where these memories originated from. The Mandela Effect is very real and more common than you think but researchers and scientist have a very hard time pin pointing where exactly these recurring false memories come from so, the origins of the Mandela Effect may remain a mystery.

• That’s not how I remember it

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• That’s not how I remember it

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• That’s not how I remember it

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

• That’s not how I remember it

That’s not how I remember it