Work out tips for the time-pressed teen

Work out tips for the time-pressed teen

Gyms like Planet Fitness provide many workout opportunities that fit in busy teens' schedules.

Alex Plaskon, News Editor

It’s the middle of the first semester; the school year is in full swing. As the days pass and the weather cools, busy teenagers (such as myself) find free-time a rarity. While our days are spent going from class, rehearsal, practice, and study time, it’s hard to find the time to really focus on our physical fitness. This past summer, I fell in love with the benefits of going to the gym and working out. However, I haven’t had the time to hit the gym again-until now. This is because I finally understood that, even with my busy schedule, I could in fact find time to go to the gym. Follow these tips so you can get the most out of your workout without having it disrupt your entire schedule.

Find your nearest local Gym: While some students live in neighborhoods that have a gym within walking distance from our homes, many do not. Finding a local gym will cut down on travel time getting there and back. Some options in the area include Planet Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Crunch, and the YMCA.

Set a time limit that works for your schedule: In order to stay fit without disrupting your day, set a time limit on your workout. I typically set a timer for 45 minutes to 1 hour when I go to the gym. This ensures that I can still exercise and have enough time to get other things done. Making sure the time you set works with our schedule is all that matters.

Do some cardio: If you’re pressed for time, doing cardio (things like running on a treadmill, biking, or using an elliptical) is your best bet. When you do this, you engage your entire body, get your heart rate up, and can even lose weight. Using apps such as Zombie Run, where you are a part of the zombie apocalypse and must escape zombies chasing after you, can even make it entertaining.

Know your limits: Make sure you know your body’s limits. Don’t overdo your workout just because you might be pressed for time. The goal of working out is to maintain physical fitness, not get injured.

Set workout days on your calendar: There is no “right” or “wrong” amount of days you should be working out each week. If you’re busy throughout the week, make your days Saturday and Sunday. Don’t have rehearsal on Mondays and Wednesdays? Go then! The point is to be consistent.

Working out has many physical and mental benefits. While we all have different reasons why we do it, it’s important to stick with it for our health. As a musician, I don’t get any physical activity though my rehearsals, therefore, finding the time to stay fit is important to me. I’m happy I’ve found ways to get back to the gym after taking a two-month hiatus, as it definitely benefits me in the long run.