Happy challah days

Put some respect on my dreidel

Happy challah days

Kinou Louis-Charles, Editorial/Entertainment Editor

The holiday that lives in the shadow of frosty snowmen and reindeer with red noses is coming around the corner. Celebrated for eight consecutive days, let’s face it America, the lovely holiday, Hanukkah, gets no hype. It’s true that Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be appreciated by everyone. Where is the Hanukkah music, why aren’t there many movies about the joy of spinning the dreidel and winning yourself some geld? In a land filled with citizens of diverse backgrounds, I refuse to believe we can’t make space for a menorah.

Interested in Hanukkah and how it came to be, I did my own research and reached out to a friend of Jewish descent. Rachel Stepakoff, a senior at East Lake High School and annual Hanukkah celebrator, explained to me that in ancient history as Judah Maccabee, a Jewish priest, and other fellow Jews were in the process of rebuilding the second temple in Jerusalem, they needed oil to light the menorah but had enough for only one day. When they lit the candles, the oil lasted eight, so that’s how Hanukkah became the festival of lights. Ever since this fateful event, Hanukkah has been celebrated for eight days once a year.

“What are some traditions you and your family do for Hanukkah,” I asked, curious for Rachel’s response.

“We make latkes, play dreidel and at sundown we get together to say the prayer over the candles and light the menorah,” Rachel revealed, clearly excited for the holiday to come around once more. Rachel did come out to say how she feels the hype of Christmas casts a shadow over her beloved holiday. “People seem to forget that not everyone celebrates Christmas,” she said, a bold yet true statement that needs to be shared.