How to get a job

It takes more than just filling out the application.

Alex Plaskon, News Editor

Let’s be real-most of us teenagers in high school are broke. We want our own independence, our own money, and our own things. However, we know, can’t, or don’t want to rely on our parents for all things monetary forever. As someone who’s had a whopping four jobs in the past two years, I know the tips and tricks of staying hired. Here’s on getting a job.

Tip one: Know how flexible your schedule is: If you want a job, you need to know how much you can work (without overwhelming yourself). Have nothing to do? Go apply at a restaurant-they always need people on staff. Got a busy schedule? Check out retail, their hours tend to be more flexible. How do I know? My first three jobs were at restaurants, and I was fired from one because of my lack of available hours. When I started working at my (current) retail job, they were happy to accommodate my busy schedule.

Tip two: Ask yourself what kind of job you want: If you like a job that will keep you on your toes, go for a restaurant or retail. If you like a more relaxed and slow-paced work environment, try tutoring or clerical work.

Tip three: Age is important: In most cases, you need to be at least 16 years old to get hired. Why? Primarily because of labor laws. At 16-17 years old, you can only work 4 hours at a time without at least a 30-minute break. Once you turn 18 this becomes a thing of the past, with no breaks being required during a shift. Call the place you want to apply to and speak to a manager to find out their policies.

Tip four: Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there: As the daughter of a business owner, I’ve learned that employees want more than a simple application. Often times, calling the place you’ve applied to, or even showing up in person to introduce yourself can get you the job. Although this seems silly, it’s worked for me in the past. When I got hired at my current job (I now work at American Eagle Outfitters), I walked into the store asking for the manager, just to introduce myself. She ended up interviewing and hiring me on the spot because I did this. Guess what-she didn’t even see my application before this. Trust me, it helps.

Tip five: Know the brand: So, I learned this lesson at a rocky interview that landed me my second job. My former employer asked me what I knew about the chain restaurant I had applied to, and I knew close to nothing. Knowing specific things about the company you’re applying to will not only make your interview easier but will make a good lasting impression on your future employers.