Before you go…

Make your four years here memorable

Before you go…

Photo credits: freepik.com

Photo credits: freepik.com

Photo credits: freepik.com

Photo credits: freepik.com

Kinou Louis-Charles, Editorial/Entertainment Editor

Freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior. The four stages of high school that seem like an eternity but actually fly by when you aren’t paying attention. They are the four years that teach you an abundance of things, academic and otherwise, before you go off into the real world. During your time here, soaking up all the information you can and racking up every GPA point, make sure to engage in adventures that will allow you to look back at you high school memories fondly. Here I suggest five things you should do before you leave high school.

1. Take a scary AP class

You never truly learn and grow unless you break out of your comfort zone. I think taking that one AP class you were always curious about but too nervous to sign up for is an awesome way to challenge yourself and discover your capabilities while also learning a boat load of new information.

1. Join a club/ honors society

If you have never heard this before, I hate to be the one breaking it to you, but the world doesn’t revolve around you. Join a club or honors society that requires you to be a part of something bigger than yourself and one that potentially helps the community around you. Stepping outside of your world is not only liberating but while working with others you develop team, life, and leadership skills you’ll need for the future.

1. Do an activity for fun

Too often– and I am guilty of this– I hear that the only reason students join certain activities is because they know it will look good on their college resume. Well, college isn’t here yet! Join Drama club because you like to act, join German club for the culture, be a part of PMAC and make a difference at school. So, do an activity you always were interested in for fun, last time I checked fun still does exist.

1. Earn Honor Roll or Dean’s List

Who doesn’t want a chance to boast about their flawless grades? If you want that chance, work hard for it, have something to show for all those hours you put into your school work and be proud of it. No one is too cool for school anymore; it’s a played-out movie stereotype.

1. Be spontaneous

Yes, I know, it’s hard to be spontaneous when you have “be spontaneous” on your to do list but it’s more a reminder. When you are planning your whole future, don’t forget to participate in some of those side-track adventures. Besides, leaving high school with not at least one wildly crazy story is not the way I’d want to go.

There are plenty of opportunities out there, you just need to knock on their doors and take a picture for the memory album. Sure, we could just easily breeze by high school, but where is the fun in that (honestly) ? You may be the one to say, “I won’t miss high school,” but just in case you do have some amazing memories to look back on.