Five easy ways to reduce stress

Alex Plaskon, News Editor

Sometimes, life can get pretty stressful. Because being a teenager in high school brings many stressors upon us (like a fight with a family member or friend, tests, and homework, to give some common examples). Sometimes it can be hard to cope with that stress when it strikes us suddenly. As a senior, I’ve learned a few tricks to cope with my stressors over the past four years. Here are my five best ways to reduce and cope with stress (that won’t break the bank).

1. Working out: Working out is my personal favorite way to deal with stress. In my case, exercising is a great way to deal with any negative energy and leave it all behind at the gym. Whether you like to go for a run, play a sport, or lift some weights, working out will clear your head while keeping you fit, too.
  2. Lighting a candle: I am actually doing this as I sit and write this article. Nothing helps me relax more than watching my favorite candle flicker softly in my room. Also, it leaves a nice scent behind as well.
  3. Drinking some tea (or your favorite drink): Some nights, especially after an evening class at SPC when I still need to do homework, drinking hot tea instantly helps me relax. Something about holding a warm mug of my favorite vanilla chai tea helps me to calm down quickly. Whether you’re a chai lover like me, or you prefer some chamomile tea or even a black coffee, few things beat a warm drink after a long day.
  4. Listening to some music: I am the kind of person who doesn’t leave the house without headphones. Why? School is stressful, and I get agitated when I don’t have music to listen to between my classes. My current favorites to help me de-stress are Taylor Swift’s Lover album, Star Wars film scores, and 2000’s pop music.
  5. Doing something that makes you feel good: Although the four things listed above are my personal ways of coping with stress, they might not be what’s right for you. For instance, you can go out with friends if you’re an extrovert. I will mention that I’m an introvert, so my coping mechanisms help enhance my valued alone time each day. Regardless of what it is, doing something that makes you feel good is a great way to cope with stress (as long as it’s a healthy outlet)