What the fluff?

A childhood staple food up north has seemingly very little consumption in Florida.

A mouthwatering picture of quite possibly the best sandwich to ever exist.

Mya Mooney, Staff Writer

One would think that their childhood go to sandwich would be appreciated by many peers in their own childhoods, but it seems that is not the case. Growing up in central Pennsylvania a fluffernutter was a staple sandwich, and usually was available to order off the kids’ menu at a restaurant. For those wondering what exactly a fluffernutter is, it is a marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwich. Although it may not sound overly appetizing, this rich and sweet sandwich is loved by so many children and even adults. Once I moved down to Florida, not once did I ever see someone pack a fluffernutter; it was mainly ham and cheese, peanut butter and Nutella, and peanut butter and jelly. After recently talking with some friends, I’ve come to the conclusion that fluffernutters are a northern thing and Floridians are missing out. This delicious sandwich was first made in the United States, Massachusetts to be exact, during World War One. At the time it was called the Liberty Sandwich , clearly in relation to the state of the country at the time. The fluffernutter would not have been possible if it wasn’t for Archibald Query, who was the one to start making the marshmallow creme and sold it to locals in his town in Massachusetts. After some time went by and people moved away, the fluffernutter started spreading to neighboring states, like New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. Even though it has spread throughout New England and the northern part of the U.S., it seems that it has yet to make it to Florida. The thought of someone never eating a fluffernutter is beyond me; how could you not eat such a delectable sandwich?

After coming to the conclusion fluffernutters are a northern thing, I decided to test my theory. Now the statistics that I have are only a sample of the school population, a very small sample at that, so this data has room for quite a bit of uncertainty. The first survey maxed out at 40 responses , of which only 40% answered yes to living in Florida their whole life and 24% of Floridians had indeed eaten a fluffernutter. There were 20% more students who have previously lived in other states, 60%. Of those who had lived elsewhere, 37.5% of them have eaten a fluffernutter. Now 24% and 37.5% don’t have a large significant difference, but that may have been for plenty of reasons such as those who had lived in other states may have lived out west or even in another country. The Floridians who have eaten a fluffernutter most likely have parents from out of state who grew up eating them and thus those students grew up eating them as well. Furthermore, this was a sample of only 40 students out of 2000+ students who attended East Lake currently. Students may have also answered a question wrong, which could skew the data collected. While I was expecting a large gap between those who grew up out of state and those who grew up instate, my theory still held strong, a higher percentage of out of state students have eaten a fluffernutter. Hopefully the amount of people who have lived in Florida their whole life and have eaten a fluffernutter increases. For those who have never eaten the tasty fluffernutter, please make yourself one, you won’t regret it.

If anyone is curious on what exactly they need, let me tell you. Any type of bread is okay, but white bread is the preferred, as it overall tastes better than whole wheat for this particular sandwich. Creamy Jif peanut butter is your friend, unless you want a crunch sandwich, creamy peanut butter works the best. As for the fluff, the standard Marshmallow fluff or Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme are pretty much interchangeable because both are delicious. Now that you have your ingredients, you spread peanut butter on one piece of bread and marshmallow fluff on the other, sandwich them together, and obviously cut the sandwich diagonally. If you don’t cut the fluffernutter diagonally into two triangles, you did it wrong. If you are wanting something warmer , pop that bread into the toaster and you’ve got a warm and tasty fluffernutter. Go out and make yourself a fluffernutter!