Why you should never skip the most important meal of the day

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. or is it?

Some+very+common+breakfast+food+ideas+to+fuel+your+morning.+

Ireallylikefood.com

Some very common breakfast food ideas to fuel your morning.

Larissa Snaguski, Staff Writer

I’m sure you’ve heard a million times: “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” or “make sure you eat something before you go” from your parents or doctor… but is it? I mean really…what is so special about breakfast compared to lunch and dinner? The Better Health Channel says, “If you don’t have breakfast, you might find you feel a bit sluggish and struggle to focus on things.” I can attest to this, as I do feel this way when I skip breakfast and I’m sure many others do as well. My mother also mentioned that when she skips breakfast she “doesn’t feel motivated to do anything” and when she does do them she “doesn’t do them as best as she would if she did eat breakfast.” This happens because your “brain hasn’t received the energy (glucose) it needs to get going.” Studies suggest that not having breakfast affects your intellectual performance, including your awareness, ability to focus and memory. With lack of food affecting all of this, not eating breakfast can make some tasks feel way harder than they normally would be.

Starting your day off with a healthy breakfast gives you energy and will most likely keep you in a good mood by not getting hangry. Hangry is a term that is thrown around when you are hungry causing you to be angry or in a “mood.” Eating breakfast promotes thinking, moving, positively and not only will you be in a good mood with a healthy breakfast, but it also breaks your overnight fasting period which replenishes that glucose (energy) uses to boost your energy levels and alertness, while also providing other essential nutrients required for good health. Eating a balanced breakfast has also been scientifically proven to allow students to get higher test scores due to the ability to focus and think better, and who wouldn’t want that?

Some may skip breakfast due to lack of time in the morning or because most people simply can not stomach food that early in the morning. This is understandable, but the importance to eating a good breakfast in the morning is a recipe for success; if you don’t have time in the morning, prioritize. You can wake up earlier, meal prep the night before, or even heap a nutritious bar or a fruit on the way out the door. Other simple and healthy breakfast ideas are eggs (made any way) + toast, pre-made egg white bites, oatmeal (or overnight oats to be quicker), or even a nutritious smoothie. It’s that simple. With all of this being said, why would you even think about skipping breakfast?

Sources

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/breakfast#if-you’re-time-poor-you-can-still-have-breakfast