St. Anger

“F*** it all and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets, I need a voice to let myself, To let myself go free”

Jadalys Pichardo, Staff Writer

Is anger the cause of all things wrong in our world today? Possibly. Anger affects you physically and mentally, causing increased anxiety, high blood pressure, and headache. Many teenagers my age experience this at a young age, making them over-stressed and affect the way their growing brains develop. It puts them at risk of mental illness later in life. This is one of the main reasons why this century has the lowest levels of respect. Either we are too sensitive, or too angry. These emotions contribute to the many bad decisions made in our world. We let our anger get the best of us, and because some of us have experienced anger growing up, we are unable to control it.

We have experienced many different anger levels among society. “There’s the kind of sudden, violent anger,” Katherine Miller states in a Buzzfeed article, that ranges from embarrassing to disturbed to unruly to racist. For example, everyone has seen those videos of people just screaming on flights or in stores; fighting in airports, sports games, or parking lots; punching elders and fellow citizens out of nowhere. “Unfortunately,” Atlanta coach Nate McMillan said, “I just think we’re living in a society where really, people just don’t have respect anymore.”

Moral anger, on the other hand, is a deep and existential feeling that can be overwhelming and painful. This is usually influenced by, for example, seeing yet another video of a white police officer shooting or tackling a black person or after the United States’s “chaotic” withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Then there’s the online anger. This is usually the easiest to write about because it uses what is in the brain and transforms it into something tangible. I love the metaphor they used: “… where it’s like trying to stand on the ocean: one wrong move and you’re dragged down into a spiral of outrage and bitterness…” With more isolation due to the pandemic and fewer outlets, this type of anger seems to be more unpredictable. It could be a false interpretation or just overruled by anger. Nobody knows.

Professor Everett L. Worthington Jr. suggests that the human body has multiple layers of appraisal of a situation. This is why it is so difficult for us to explain how we got from point A to point B. Rationality/thinking comes in late, which is because it is part of secondary emotion. This consists of resentment, bitterness, rage, etc. “It can grow as uncontrollable as memories,” he explains.

There are dozens of root problems and many of them are plausible for various kinds of rage that we see nowadays. Though, with the sheer externalization of interior emotion in the 21st century, there is most likely a sharper awareness of the grand totality of angers flowing around and what it’s like to feel them. I feel like if everybody felt the same way about moving forward and not looking back, we wouldn’t be so sensitive, causing us to be over-angered.