Living for yourself

“It’s my life, it’s now or never. I ain’t gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I’m alive. It’s my life.” Bon Jovi

Jadalys Pichardo, Staff Writer

It took me so long. It took such a long time to realize that I am who I am. I’ve lived my life being the one on top, the one who always did things right. Then, I went to high school. At first, I thought it was the online setting that had corrupted my “winning streak.” Suddenly I was a normal high school student, attending in person classes and dealing with people for hours straight. It was only then, that I realized that I was not the person I was a year ago. I had changed; life around me had changed and expectations of me got bigger and higher; people’s opinions of me got more aggressive. This, to me, was a new world and life that no one had prepared me for. I didn’t know how to deal with people, how to deal with this new life full of failure. I felt like everything I did was going to end up in failure, and no matter what I did,  nothing was going to get better, and people would always think highly of me and get dissatisfied with me. 

Someone very important to me helped me realize that I don’t live for anyone. He said that “everyone is gonna have expectations of you, everyone.” He showed me that no one else is going to live my life; no one else is gonna achieve my goals. It’s important that we realize that people are always going to have things to say about you, they’re always going to be unsatisfied with your actions, disappointed in you for failing so much, and want you to make better choices. They say this as if they are in charge of your life, and whatever you do affects them. Ignore them.

Everyone will have something to say and think about you, and you shouldn’t let that get to your head. Live the life you want. I’ve never failed so much in my life before. I used to be organized, the smartest one around, dedicated to everything. Now, I’ve had people ask what happened to me. Everyone misses the old me. Well you know what? I honestly don’t care. I’m tired of being people’s top gossip story, or a disappointment in their eyes, or even a depressed teenager that doesn’t want to do anything. I’m going to start living for me. I feel like I will be much happier now than before.

I’m going to start accepting my failures and ignore anyone who thinks I’m a failure. I’m going to start living my life how I want, no matter if other people think it’s not good enough. I’m living my life, not anyone else’s. I get to choose what disappoints me, I get to choose what brings me down, what I failed, what I need to fix, and what I need to do to get better. If you have something to say about the way I’m living my life, you can take it to the trash because the opinion box is closed for good.

Live for yourself, and not by the expectations of others.