2011 in review

Jimmy Skaaland, Staff Writer

2011 was a year packed with uprisings, natural disasters, global economic insecurity, and always something new to grab the headlines.  The year’s top story is the killing of Osama  bin Laden by U.S. Navy Seals in Pakistan; this wrapped up the decade long manhunt for the terrorist responsible for the September 11, 2001 attack on the Twin Towers.  Unfortunately, this year had many tragedies from the earthquake that struck Japan to the tornadoes that tore apart Alabama.  This past year also rang with the voice of the people during the Arab Spring, where Egyptian protesters ended the 30-year reign of Hosni Mubarak, while Libyan rebels battled and killed Moammar Gadhafi in the streets.  This was also exciting year in England where the Royal Family celebrated Prince William and Kate Middleton. 

The Occupy Wall Street movement was born this past year, which set out to publicize the growing socioeconomic inequalities in our country.  Well at least that’s all they seemed to accomplish, since they lacked any clear agenda or leadership.  “I found the Occupy Wall Street protests interesting at first because they seemed to pose some valid points.  After the first two weeks it seemed to snowball accepting anyone with a grudge and a tent, which is probably why they weren’t able to get anything done,”  said senior, Michelle Higbee. 

In the smaller picture, 2011 was also a big year for East Lake High School.  The Volleyball team was able to win its second straight State Championship, the Football team got to the 3rd round of the playoffs, and the annual East Lake Relay for Life raised a record high $60,000.