Trump inauguration shaping up to be like no other

Evan Rocha, Staff Writer

The upcoming inauguration of President-Elect Trump has been stirring up a lot of controversy on both social and the mainstream media. From repeated allegations of Russian interference in the election to (now somewhat desperate) attempts to stop his inauguration, Trump is under a constant barrage of criticisms and attacks. Most recently, Meryl Streep slammed Trump at the Golden Globes awards for reportedly mocking a disabled reporter during one of his rallies. The most recent allegations of Russian interference revolve around an alleged correspondence between Trump and certain Russian figures stretching back up to five years.

Continuing on from the general controversy, the inauguration itself will be unlike any of the past few presidents’. Unlike President Obama’s second inauguration in 2013, which featured acts like Beyoncé performing the National Anthem and Kelly Clarkson singing “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee,” two of the headliners of Trump’s inauguration will be the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and former America’s Got Talent finalist Jackie Evancho.

The Presidential parade is also somewhat different from previous election cycles. For the first time in over twenty years, not a single D.C. college has applied to be in the parade. Similarly, Clinton won the District of Columbia with over 90% of the vote. Talladega College, a historically black Alabama school, is one of the bands contributing, despite pressure from protestors. Two Florida schools are also sending bands (one in Palm Beach, and one high school in Naples).

City officials have prepared for the largest crowd to ever attend an inauguration, more so for the potential protestors than spectators. Many permits have been issued for various Trump protesting and supporting groups. A budget of $19 million has been allocated for expenses, although the total cost is expected to run higher than $30 million. 3,000 police officers from surrounding Maryland and Virginia districts will participate in the event’s security, as well as 5,000 National Guardsmen to protect the parade route.

The event will be attended by former Presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton (along with Hillary), and Jimmy Carter. Former President George H.W. Bush will miss the event for health reasons. Afterwards, there will be at least three official and many unofficial balls. One such ball will feature themes from Trump’s home town, called the “Big Apple Ball”. The announcer for the ceremony will be Washington Nationals announcer Steve Ray, breaking a sixty-year tradition of having Charlie Brotman (a now 89-year old man who has announced every inauguration since Dwight Eisenhower’s second in 1957).

The ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m. on January 20th, with opening remarks at 11:30 and swearing in by noon by Chief Justice John Roberts.