Terror in Spain

Jeremy Pe, Staff Writer

Spain recently received its first terror attack in years and it was devastating. From August 16th– August 18th there were multiple attacks across the country.  Wednesday night, one woman was killed and six people were injured in a house explosion. Police initially thought it was a gas explosion, until twenty canisters of propane and butane were found.

The next day, two terrorists drove into a crowd in Las Ramblas, which is a popular spot for tourists. The car was described as a white van. In “Deadly Barcelona attack is worst in a day of violence in Spain,” Laura Smith-Spark states that “Authorities said of the 80 people taken to hospitals, 15 were seriously hurt and 13 people died.” The terrorist drove for 500 meters before exiting the vehicle and fleeing on foot. Two suspects were later arrested. One person turned himself in but says he did not do it. His name is Driss Oukabir, he turned himself in on August 17th after seeing his name circulating in the media due to someone using his ID.

An unnamed suspect was also arrested in Alcanar. Friday, in Cambrils, four terrorists wearing explosive belts were killed by the police and one was injured after driving an Audi A3 into six people. No civilians died but all of them were taken to the hospital. In “Timeline of terror in Spain,” theguardian updates on the status of all the terrorists “Catalan police confirm that the five shot dead in Cambrils included Moussa Oukabir, 17, who had initially been sought as the driver in the Ramblas attack. El Houssaine Abouyaaqoub, 19, and Said Aallaa, 19, were also killed on August 17th. All three were Moroccan. The other two killed, Omar Hychami, 21, and Mohamed Hychami, 24, were listed as born in Morocco killed on the 18th. Police are still hunting Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, who they now suspect may have been the van driver in Barcelona, along with two other unnamed suspects who are still on the run.” Isis has spoken and claims responsibility for the attack.

Donald Trump offered help to Barcelona and reminded them to “be strong”. But he would later post a controversial tweet. ““Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!” Which basically blamed Spain for the terrorist attack for not acting beforehand. This tweet is childish and disrespects the people who were hurt during the multiple accidents.

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

• Terror in Spain

Terror in Spain