What’s the motive

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

Thousands of people attended the Route 91 Music Festival on Sunday, October 1 to sing and party as hard as their hearts desired, unsuspecting of what would really end up happening that day.  Stephen Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, continuing to fire rounds on and off for nine to eleven minutes.  He ended up killing 58 and wounding around 500 people, making this the largest mass shooting in modern American history, placing itself right above the tragic Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando.  Paddock isn’t the only criminal in his family; his father Eric Paddock was a convicted bank robber, and after his escape from the high security prison he was locked up in, he was placed on the FBI’s Most Wanted List.  Authorities originally thought that maybe his father’s criminal past might have played a part in Paddock’s motive for this shooting, but after they found a letter full of calculations for perfect aim in the shooting authorities have become even further from finding a motive than they had been in the beginning.

Stephen Paddock had his attack planned out perfectly, and with new evidence of his calculations on the distance and trajectory from his window in the hotel, it is even more clear that Paddock wasn’t just shooting randomly but specifically at the Route 91 Music Festival.  Paddock purchased all 23 firearms over the span of a year, and during the shooting he added on bump stocks to make the majority of the guns automatic.  With most of the guns being automatic, this left him the time to check the makeshift cameras he had set up to make sure no one got onto the 32nd floor to stop him. However, Jesus Campos, a Mandalay Bay Hotel security guard, located Paddock, but in the process was shot in the leg.  Jesus Campos is now being called a hero, but humbly told ABC News, “I was just doing my job.”  With his help, police were able to stop Paddock faster; if he hadn’t done what he did, who knows how many more people would’ve been injured.

The motive is still unknown but will it really matter in the end, he is gone, so there isn’t much we can do but support those who were injured and support the families who lost loved ones in this terrible event.  Originally Paddock’s girlfriend said he showed no signs of this; he was just normal. His brother also said that everything was normal, and that Paddock never spoke of any problems.  Paddock’s girlfriend has been extremely helpful to authorities. She was out of the country when the attack happened but when she came back she was cooperative with police.  The authorities are still investigating the 100,000 dollars wired to Paddock’s girlfriend, but he was quite wealthy so it might have just been normal.  There is so much to go over still that only time can tell whether Stephen Paddock was crazy or had a motive; either way this tragedy will never be forgotten, and neither will the people who were injured or killed.

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

• What’s the motive

What’s the motive