Florida things

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

If you’ve had something to drink, walk or get an Uber or taxi because your horse just won’t do it.  You will be charged with a DUI.  Some people might wonder why you would be charged; it’s just a horse, it’s not a car, so what’s the big deal?  The big deal is not only are you endangering yourself, but you are also endangering the horse and other people driving around you.  Recently a Polk County woman learned this lesson when another driver called authorities out of concern that the woman, Donna Bryne, looked confused and out of it.  Bryne was charged with a DUI and animal neglect, and her horse was taken to the Polk County Sheriff’s Animal Control livestock facility.

More into what happened and where, Byrne, the 53-year-old woman was riding her horse down Combee Road near North Crystal Lake Road in Lakeland, when a concerned citizen called the authorities on her.  When the authorities arrived, Bryne’s horse was tied up and left to eat grass and wait while they tested Bryne’s blood alcohol level, which happened to be 0.161, which is twice the legal limit.  Surprisingly, Bryne had made  it 10-15 miles on her way to J and J Chaps before being caught. Bryne recently spoke out about her case claiming she was drunk and that this is all just a mistake, and she’s very upset about her horse being taken, I mean it was her birthday after all.

According to a quote from Polk County Sheriff Spokesman Brian Bruchey, they’ve never had a case like this in the area, as far as he knows, but there are appellate court rulings from 1993, stating that people riding animals on the highway are subject to the same laws as drivers as it really should be.  This case is just really strange, but it’s Florida, so what can you expect?

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

• Florida things

Florida things