Snow blankets much of the South

Winter came early

Snow covered the grassy areas of northern Escambia county last Friday.

Isabel Platis, News Editor

Last Thursday and Friday, winter storm Benji spread snow to some very unusual parts of the South that hadn’t seen snow in over a decade. This bizarre weather event has some people wondering if this trend will continue throughout the season.

South Texas saw its first record snowfall in over a decade. Brownsville, one of America’s southernmost cities and located right along the Mexico border, accumulated 0.3 inches of snow on Friday. The last time Brownsville saw snow was in 2004 on Christmas day and before that was the winter of 1895-96. This was a very unusual but fun event for that city. Corpus Christi, which also hadn’t seen snow since 2004, measured a total of seven inches. This snow along the Texas coast came only four months after Hurricane Harvey left many cities underwater. Needless to say, it’s been quite a year for many parts of Texas.

Another shocking area that received some snow was the western panhandle. Northern Escambia county saw up to two inches and there was enough snow to cover grassy areas in the town of Jay. Destin and Miramar Beach experienced snow flurries on Saturday for the first time since 1977. Floridians were outside Saturday morning taking advantage of this once in a lifetime event by playing in the snow before it melted, which didn’t take very long.

Jackson, Mississippi averaged about 5.1 inches of snow, which was their 7th snowiest day ever recorded for that city. Even some light snow fell along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, creating a beautiful view of snowfall on the beach. Benji continued moving north east along the coast of the US, bringing the first snowfall of the season to areas in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Benji moved all the way up to Maine, followed by lots of chilly weather in New England. For those north eastern states, this is only the beginning of winter and there are many more snow days to come.

Although many people believe that this odd snow event means a colder and snowier winter, it will actually be fairly normal. Wetter-than-normal conditions are currently favored, but that doesn’t necessarily mean more snow. As for temperatures, they appear to be pretty average in comparison to previous years. This bizarre snow system was simply a coincidence and probably won’t happen again for a few years.

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

• Snow blankets much of the South

Snow blankets much of the South