Star Wars season

The Last Jedi is predicted to bring in huge money.

Jacob Prail, Staff Writer

The holiday season is back upon us, and it can mean multiple things: Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas, fuzzy socks, hot chocolate and also movies. However, there’s no movie that has dominated Christmas in the past couple years like the Star Wars franchise. So let’s dive in and find out what makes Star Wars its dominant force today.

Reason one: the biggest factor of Star Wars is nostalgia. Star Wars first came out in 1977, which is now considered episode 4. The majority of kids in high school have seen or heard of Star Wars because of their parents. The movies were such a big time part of their childhood. I asked my dad, who is a huge Star Wars geek, why Star Wars has been so prevalent for so long. He said, “It’s the ultimate good versus evil. You can relate to the characters on different levels and as I re-watch , I can find new meaning in it and it’s also really good.” The answer is that there is no one answer; Star Wars just works.

Reason two: Legos. Disney owns Star Wars and all of its characters. During Christmas, Star Wars is a popular Christmas gift to give to kids or adults, mainly in the form of Legos.  The Lego Star Wars brand alone produced in 2016 $760 million  worth of products.  Star Wars isn’t going away. With Legos retiring sets like the Boba Fett ship and the T-Fighter, people will flock to eBay to claim a part of history.

Reason 3: The movies seem to be coming  out during the holiday season as of late. 2015 was the Star Wars: The Force Awakens, 2016 Rogue One, and in 2017 Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  The franchise has a total of nine movies with a Han Solo spinoff movie coming out soon and countless others as well. In 2019 the 9th episode in the Star Wars Saga will be released.  The movies have also dominated opening weekend. The Force Awakens grossed $529 million on its opening weekend while Rogue One grossed $155 million, grossing a total of $1.065 billion at the box office.

Star Wars is a staple of American culture and it’s an icon and icons don’t go away easy. The Star Wars franchise is here to stay and be ready, you might have to buy someone a Star Wars gift. It’s never a bad option.

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

• Star Wars season

Star Wars season