Terror in Times Square

Akayed+Ullah+%28pictured+above%29+was+ironically+the+most+injured+in+the+attack+and+is+currently+in+the+hospital.+
Akayed Ullah (pictured above) was ironically the most injured in the attack and is currently in the hospital.

Photo provided by NBC News

Photo provided by NBC News

Jeremy Pe, Staff Writer

Last Monday morning, December 11, New York received a terrorist attack. 27-year-old Akayed Ullah detonated a pipe bomb that was strapped to his chest in an underground walkway in the subway. An officer spotted wires coming from Ullah’s pants. The officer then saw him reaching for his phone, which officers suspected that the phone could be the detonator. The commuter hub was sent into panic as six people were injured in the attack, one of them being Ullah himself. Four officers from the Port Authority Bus Terminal police were at the scene immediately. They were Sean Gallagher an ex-marine, Drew M. Preston, a U.S. army veteran, John “Jack” F. Collins, who is a lawyer, and Anthony Manfredini, who is a former marine and bomb technician. Cameras captured footage of teams of officers sieging the subway with heavy weapons, dogs, and radiation detectors to protect them against the bomb. They arrested him at gunpoint and checked Ullah for any extra explosives before transporting him to the hospital.

Ullah was the only one seriously injured by the bomb, as he was the closest. He now sits in a hospital bed at Bellevue Hospital recovering from wounds and burns. He is charged with federal terrorism offenses and now most likely faces life in prison. He was notified of the charges via video Wednesday. Prosecutors believe that this was a failed suicide attack carried out by ISIS. This stirs up a lot of panic for everyone because over 5 million use the New York subway per day.

Ullah had been involved with ISIS for around three years now. He was trying to carry out his suicide attack that he began planning over a year ago in order to avenge U.S. policies in the Middle East. He began acquiring materials for the bomb about three weeks ago.

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

• Terror in Times Square

Terror in Times Square