2017 recap

We can do this.

We can do this.

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

2017 was a jam-packed year, but what year isn’t?  Whether we realize it or not, we are always changing things, passing new laws or updating the old ones.  Not everything that happens is good, but it contributes to a bigger change, mostly for the betterment of the world as a whole.

The beginning of 2017 began like any other new year, everyone’s timelines swamped with the infamous “New Year, New Me” posts.  In the first couple months little things happened, such as the controversial Pepsi commercial where Kendall Jenner supposedly solves police brutality with a can of Pepsi and the power of Twitter getting Carter Wilkerson Wendy’s chicken nuggets for an entire year.  As the year went on things got a little crazy.

2017 will unfortunately go down as a year of tragedies.  We had mass shootings, bombings, natural disasters, and deaths of icons.  In January we had the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting, in May we had the Ariana Grande Manchester, UK concert bombing, from August to September we had Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, in October we had the Las Vegas music festival shooting, and in November the Texas church shooting happened.  With all these events, suddenly there were family members, friends, spouses sadly gone.  Not only did we lose family members we lost some stars and American icons over the year. In December, the Sound of Music actress Heather Menzies Urich died of cancer, in November AC/DC guitarist and cofounder Malcom Young died after a three year battle with dementia, in September the Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner died, and also in November we sadly lost former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay in a tragic plane crash.  All these people we lost will be missed dearly.

For all of these tragic things, some good did happen in 2017.  These include The Women’s March, Malala Yousafzai started college at Oxford, April the Giraffe had a baby calf, and a local reporter saved a stranger during Hurricane Harvey.  These might not be the biggest events, but they show that good things are still happening.  2017 has definitely thrown us some curveballs and some issues have pushed into 2018, but we can handle this; we have gone through worse and survived.

We have gone so many years with tons of wins and losses, here’s to making it through one more and continuing to make it through many more. Let’s hope 2018 brings more good than bad, even if it’s just more little Twitter miracles, engagements, protests, anything that brings happiness or a change. Let’s make 2018 an amazing year.

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

• 2017 recap

2017 recap