Parkland High School shooting

Parkland High School shooting

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

We are only in the second month of the new year and have already experienced a school shooting tragedy.   17 people are dead and 14 injured after the shooting at Majory Stonemam Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.  The suspect of the shooting is former student Nikolas Cruz.  It was an hour after Cruz opened fire before he was removed from the campus.  Governor Rick Scott called this act “pure evil,” which is absolutely true.  This shooting has started some major controversy on gun control again. Hopefully everything will change from this.

There seemed to be many signs something like this was bound to happen; some student survivors of the shooting said they weren’t surprised that it was him. On Cruz’s Instagram he had posted many different pictures of small animals he had killed, a picture of the ammo he bought for the weapon, and his last picture of his gun pointed out his window, as if he was ready to shoot.  Not only was his Instagram a sign, but Cruz was expelled from the high school for disciplinary reasons, and re-enrolled at another Broward County school.  His home life was not great, adopted and then when his adopted father died of a heart attack, he was raised by a single mom, who passed away in November.  New reports found that Cruz had always caused some trouble from a young age, many calls to the police and the FBI were made, but nothing much was done, so this tragic event happened.

After the shooting occurred Cruz was removed from campus and then later on charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.  When he entered the school he was wearing a JROTC shirt and carrying some magazines, a backpack and of course the weapon he used.  This shooting has caused quite the rise in speeches and rallies for change in gun control laws.  This seems to have always been an issue, but now people want to see change, we can’t just keep it the same if things like this keep happening, there is a flaw somewhere, and it needs to be fixed.  Sadly we had to lose this many people for there finally to be a change, but hopefully we get a change that will keep this from happening.

• Parkland High School shooting

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

• Parkland High School shooting

Save the Date

• Parkland High School shooting

It’s Cuffing Season

• Parkland High School shooting

Don’t Try This at Home

• Parkland High School shooting

Queen of Rock

• Parkland High School shooting

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• Parkland High School shooting

Come See All My Sons!

• Parkland High School shooting

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

• Parkland High School shooting

• Parkland High School shooting

Parkland High School shooting