What happens stays

Passengers can drop off their weed before going through security.

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

Most would agree that airport security isn’t the definition of fun.  While you wait in the really long lines you check and re-check your bag and pockets for coins, non-travel size items, anything you have to toss or put in a try, just to avoid that awkward speech you will receive from the TSA agent.  It’s almost as if you ignored the 13 signs they had posted throughout the winding line, but really you couldn’t find a trash can you could reach.  Not only do we have to worry about water bottles, and the other oversized things we carry but now with the legalization of marijuana in some states, you have to plan ahead and figure out what you are planning to do with your drugs before you travel.

Las Vegas’ McCarren International Airport is one of few airports that has a solution to this issue.  The airport has installed what they call “marijuana amnesty boxes,” where passengers can drop their legal bud before traveling.  Not only have they been used for marijuana, but people have put vape pens, prescription drugs and bottles, and other items.  The boxes are extremely hard to break into and any attempt would be detected fairly quickly, so be careful what you are dropping in because it’s not going to be easy to get back.  The boxes get emptied quite often so your chances of snatching some free bud or anything else are slim.

These “marijuana amnesty boxes” provide an escape from the potential struggle with TSA; you just have to remember to drop it if you’re carrying some.  Now what happens in Vegas really stays in Vegas. Maybe now with this out of the way airport security can install some garbage cans for the people who are worried about their water bottle they accidentally left in their bag.

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

• What happens stays

What happens stays