RIP Stephen Hawking

The years that Hawking lived.

The years that Hawking lived.

Photo provided by Fox News

Photo provided by Fox News

The years that Hawking lived.

Jeremy Pe, Staff Writer

Recently, we unfortunately lost an idol that the whole world looked up to, Stephen Hawking. On the morning of Wednesday, March 14 his family found him dead in his home in Cambridge, England. They said that he died peacefully. A flag was raised at half-mast at Cambridge’s Gonville and Caius College to pay tribute to him to symbolize respect and mourning. A book of condolence was signed by students and visitors at the college. The International Paralympic Committee’s president Andrew Parsons gave a tribute to Hawking in his closing speech at the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Coincidentally, Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo’s death, a philosopher who influenced Hawking. Hawking happened to pass away on what would be Albert Einstein’s 139th birthday. A Thanksgiving service later this year will happen and shortly after, Hawking will be buried at Westminster Abbey, precisely Abbey’s nave. His grave will be very close to Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin. Hawking decided that he wanted the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy equation on his tombstone.

Hawking’s legacy will never be forgotten and especially his views. One of his most famous quotes about the future for humans was “In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years? I don’t know the answer. That is why I asked the question, to get people to think about it, and to be aware of the dangers we now face.” Hawking was an atheist, and said that the universe was directed by the laws of science. He believed that no one created the universe, and that no one decides our future. Another one of the ideas that he pushed for was universal health care. Stephen Hawking lived his life with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which gradually paralyzed him over the years. It was one of the main reasons he was so praised along with his massive intellectual ability, and will be missed.

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

• RIP Stephen Hawking

RIP Stephen Hawking