A change

Emily Galka, Staff Writer

After the Parkland shooting, many precautions have been taken in making schools safe, especially at Douglas, where students now have to use clear backpacks.  The students don’t seem to feel that they really change anything, more of “Band-Aids on a broken bone,” so the student activists have begun to take the opportunity to use the backpacks to protest and make a point.  Students have slipped notes inside their bags for other students and administration to see; not only do they put notes but some students have gone as far as filling their bags with things such as tampons and rubber ducks.  The clear backpacks are not the only change that the school has had. Just as our very own school, Douglas has  added gates, and use of ID badges is enforced.  These students have been through more than a teenager should have to witness and experience, and they are going to make sure that at some point no other student or person will have to go through such a traumatic experience.

The Douglas students are no strangers to protest, so it’s not a surprised they are clever enough to find a way to make school rule work for them.  The students have targeted the fact that the backpacks are as close to an invasion of privacy as the school could possibly get since nothing goes unseen, girls’ menstruation products, students’ medication, undergarments. Anything you put in the bag is seen; you might as well just carry it in your arms.  Another thing is the fact that the backpacks students received came with big orange price tags that said $1.50, many students mocking that the backpacks were how much their lives cost.  These backpacks don’t change the possibility of a school shooting happening; they just make it more miserable to go to school.

These students are determined to get an actual change and not just a silly “Band-Aid.”  They have already done so much to get the ball rolling on gun control, they have inspired school walk outs, organized the March for our Lives, and now the backpacks, not to mention they have practically seized control over Twitter.   It’s all a process and the Douglas students definitely seem to know what they are doing.

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

• A change

A change