YouTube shooting

The original social media platform attacked.

Employees+have+been+encouraged+to+take+time+off+while+campus+security+improves.+
Employees have been encouraged to take time off while campus security improves.

Jeff Chiu/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Jeff Chiu/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Jacklyn Duffek, Editor-in-Chief

San Bruno, California’s YouTube headquarters, has always been a place of creativity and a positive social media brand that encourages videography and entertainment. On April 3rd at 12:46 p.m., 38-year-old Nasim Najafi Aghdam shot up the building, injuring three and killing herself. 11 hours prior to the shooting, Nasim was reported missing by her family then questioned by police in a Walmart parking lot only 30 miles away from YouTube headquarters where officers asked her why her family reported her missing. Being very cooperative, Nasim complied with everything the cop asked and they let her go, not suspecting that she would soon be on her way to San Bruno for the following morning’s attack.

Nasim’s grudge against YouTube began months ago when her paycheck from her videos started dropping. The long time payment rule for YouTube was receiving money as your subscriber count increases. But as popular vloggers such as Jake Paul, who earned 10 million subscribers in just 10 months, and brother Logan Paul, who reached 15 million subscribers for just one year posting videos, YouTube changed their policy to where payment correlates with both subscribers and views. Nasim had only a couple hundred subscribers, so while maybe 300 people followed her, barely any watched what she posted. Hence, YouTube started paying her less and eventually her amount earned was $0.10.  Nasim is said to be linked to a TouTube hate website along with other minor channels that feel YouTube pays only people whom they want to see succeed; and that YouTube wasn’t paying her properly because the company doesn’t want her to succeed as an artist. “There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing site, your video will grow if they want to!!!!!! YouTube filtered my channels to keep it from getting views.” The more views a channel’s videos get, the more money YouTube sends the creator to continue. When Nasim began posting suggestive content, the company age-restricted her videos, making them unreachable to a heavy percent of viewers. This ultimately lessened her paycheck and convinced her that YouTube wanted her to fail.

Nasim described herself as “an animal loving vegan activist” who posted about veganism, animal cruelty and a healthy lifestyle. Her brother appeared surprised at the tragic shooting, saying “She’d never hurt any creature.” But in the 11 hours Nasim was missing, her brother reportedly called the police and informed them that his sister has a strong grudge against the YouTube company, warning them of potential danger.

The victims include a 27 and a 32-year-old women with minor but serious injuries, and a 36-year-old man in critical condition. All three exited Zuckerberg General Hospital in San Francisco healthy in good condition. For privacy reasons, no names of the victims have been released, only their ages and continuous condition.

The damage Nasim has done highlights how social media is not only emotionally dangerous and addictive, but its effects can also lead to physical harm, especially when basing a career off social media. Another threat on YouTube headquarters was made the following day April 4th by a girl from Pennsylvania, but the threat was quickly caught by the FBI and taken care of in order to prevent another incident. Representatives openly stated that YouTube employees stationed in the headquarters are encouraged to take time off and spend it with loved ones while the team works to improve campus security and make for a safer environment.

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

• YouTube shooting

YouTube shooting