Why finding H20 on this rocky planet is a big deal

"We interpret this feature as a stable body of liquid water on Mars.”

Kinou Louis-Charles, Ad Manager

On July 18, 2018, after two years of research scientists from the Italian Space Agency announced 12.5 miles of water has been existing just beneath Mars’ ice cap. The Mars Advanced for Subsurface and Ionosphere Sounding Instrument (MARSIS) was used to collect data from the southern ice cap of Mars. It detected a foreign body similar to lakes on earth found beneath ice one mile below Mars’ surface. How the water never froze on Mars is due to the salt within the rocks that mixes with water beneath the surface to form brine, which is water saturated with salt. The combination of the pressure from the ice above the surface and brine lets the water stay a liquid.
12.5-mile lake of water detected beneath Mars’ southern ice cap. ESA/INAF/Davide Coero Borga
“This is just one small study area; it is an exciting prospect to think there could be more of these underground pockets of water elsewhere, yet to be discovered,” claims Roberto Orosei, a planetary scientist and principal investigator of this discovery.
Earth has similar water to Mars just below the ice as well. Bodies of brine water on with the water still flowing lay under the Antarctic ice sheet with the usual temperature being near negative 76 degrees Fahrenheit.
Some people may wonder why finding water on another planet is so ground breaking. The answer is because in the means of exploration it may be attainable for life to be supported on Mars. Roberto Orosei stated that “it’s possible existing life on earth could survive in [Mars’] environment,” even though the planet is found to have a harsh climate. Although, don’t pack your bags just yet; researchers must find if water is a common supply on the planet first before they can even justify exploring it.
Another reason why water on Mars is especially exciting is because it may support the idea of previous life forms that may have once been on the planet. On Earth where there is water there is life, and scientists want to know if this rule applies for Mars as well. Researchers want to explore areas where there is suspected to have bodies of water to see if there were or are any signs of life forms.
The idea of water on Mars was presented back in 2012 when the NASA rover Curiosity discovered possible evidence of water in Gale Crater of Mars. There have also been proposals of water on Mars in the past, but this finding is the first hard piece of evidence. So, you bet scientists are going to take this evidence and run with it. This is an exciting and informative time to discover more about our neighboring planet, opening a window to find out more about what this water means and how we can learn from it.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.

• Water out on this world, Literally.