Is GoFundMe the best way to raise money?

Kate+McClure+and+Mark+D%27Amico%2C+and+the+homeless+man%2C+Johnny+Bobbitt+Jr+pictured.+

Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico, and the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt Jr pictured.

Sara Mount, Staff Writer

GoFundMe is a very popular money raising website. People raise money for all sorts of things. Many people feel obligated to donate to a GoFundMe when they see a touching story or someone they want to help. It is free to create a Go Fund me, making many people attracted to using the website. GoFundMe has had some previous controversy because the large portion they took from donations. While they advertise as a free website, part of your donation is being taken by GoFundMe.

The crowdfunding campaigns can become viral on GoFundMe, bringing them to the attentions of thousands of people. A recent viral campaign was set up for a restaurant owner in the Bahamas, who fed thousands of people at the Fyre Festival with no pay. Two documentaries recently came out about how the festival went so wrong, which inspired the GoFundMe. The fund has raised more than $150,000 so far. Ja Rule, one of the creators of Fyre Festival, reached out to apologize to the woman. GoFundMe has also created their own campaign. The campaign goal is to help government workers who are being affected by the shutdown. The company is partnering with non-profit organizations to help government workers who are struggling. With the government shut down being about the border wall, there was a border wall fundraiser on GoFundMe. The campaign raised over $20 million. The creator of the fund-me page is Brian Kolfag, an Air-Force veteran. He says the plan was to raise $1 billion to start the wall. Once started, his hope was that the government would continue the wall. This Fund-Me page has grabbed the attention of all the major news stations, as it raised the huge amount of $20 million in just three weeks. Although it is not the goal of $1 billion, it is a huge amount of money. When the campaign was created they stated that if the goal was not reached, all the money would be refunded. A refund is exactly what is going to happen for all $20 million dollars.

With the basis of the page to tell the story of why you are fundraising, there is a lot of possibility for people lying. Although GoFundMe has very strict regulation of fundraisers, scams can still happen. A New Jersey couple and homeless man are accused of scamming $400,000. The couple, Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico, and the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt Jr., are now being charged of second degree theft by deception. They created a story that the homeless man gave McClure his last $20 when she got stranded on the interstate. After the fees the $367,000 was given to McClure, but only $75,000 went to the homeless man. While a lot of money, it is not where the fundraiser claimed the money would be going. In texts it was discovered how they planned the whole thing. Investigators found over 67,000 texts, as well as where the couple spent all the money, blowing it on a car, luxury items, and casino trips. Once the scam was discovered, all the money was refunded to the donors. GoFundMe has many policies in place to protect their donors.

• Is GoFundMe the best way to raise money?

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Potentially Record Breaking Weather

Year of the pig, incorrect, year of the Chapstick