The story of Cyntoia Brown

Freed from the pain of her horrific past

The story of Cyntoia Brown

Cyntoia Brown flashes a smile after receiving clemency.

KInou Louis-Charles, Ad Manager

Her story has been heard from all parts of America, and it has impacted many citizens in one way or another. While it seemed that the justice system was against her, many people stood on her side and as of January 2019, Cyntoia Brown was granted clemency after serving 15 years in prison for killing the man who bought her through child sex trafficking when she was 16.

At 16, Cyntoia Brown was a victim of sex trafficking. Forced into prostitution, Cyntoia ended up killing, out of self-defense, Johnny Allen, who bought her for sexual intercourse back in 2004. She was then tried as an adult in court and sentenced to life in prison, where she had to serve 51 years to be considered for release. In 2017 Cyntoia Brown’s story had caught the attention of multiple celebrities, activists, and lawmakers and circulated through the internet, catching the hashtag #FreeCyntoiaBrown. Cyntoia’s case began to catch wind again when it came time for Tennessee’s Republican governor, Bill Haslam, to hear her case. The governor was encouraged by many people ranging from political officials to your regular citizens to grant Cyntoia Brown clemency before he was to leave the office on January 19th.

So many people had weighed in on the matter of Cyntoia Brown. Her professor, Rob Touchstone, who went into the Tennessee prison to teach Cyntoia and other inmates, said, “She seems to have used this experience that none of us could even imagine to become a better person,” wanting the people to be become familiar with the Cyntoia he got to know. The Cyntoia Touchstone knew was the person who while in prison, earned her GED and associate’s degree and is currently working on her bachelor’s degree.

However not everyone can see past Cyntoia Brown’s crime. There are still people, citizens and prosecutors, who believe Brown killed Allen out of cold blood even though she claimed self-defense and that she feared for her life. Some state parole panelists did go as far as suggesting the reduction years off her sentence.

Governor Bill Haslam kept private concerning the case of Cyntoia up until the day he was to announce his decision. On January 11, 2019, after gaining support from people like Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, Ashley Judd and having her story heard in every state in America, Cyntoia Brown was granted clemency by Bill Haslam and is set to be released August 7th, 2019. August 7th was the chosen date for Cyntoia Brown because it is the same day she committed the crime and Haslam wanted Cyntoia to complete her 15 years before being released.

“Yet, imposing a life sentence on a juvenile that would require her to serve at least 51 years before being eligible for parole consideration is too harsh, especially in light of the extraordinary steps Ms. Brown has taken to rebuild her life. . .Transformation should be accompanied by hope,” Governor Haslam stated.

“I am thankful for all of the support, prayers and encouragement I have received,” Cyntoia Brown said in a written statement. “We truly serve a God of second chances and new beginnings. The Lord has held my hand this whole time, and I would never have made it without him. Let today be a testament to his saving grace.”

Now after this victory for Cyntoia Brown has finally come, many are curious what she will do after she is released. Well, in Cyntoia’s statement she announces that she will commit her life to helping other people, more specifically young girls, avoid the scary past that is hers. Cyntoia has a big year ahead of her and does not seem like she will take her blessing for granted, as she plans to become a leader in the new chapter of her life.

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

• The story of Cyntoia Brown

The story of Cyntoia Brown