The death of Nipsey Hussle

The death of Nipsey Hussle

Nipsey Hussle (right) and Eric Holder the alleged killer (left)

Tyler Burleson, Staff Writer

Ermias Joseph Asghedom, who many of you know as Nipsey Hussle, was murdered outside his store, Marathon Clothing, on March 31st.  The suspect is named Eric Holder and he is a 29-year-old man who confronted Hussle earlier in the day and is heavily gang related. Hussle was shot six times at around 3:25 p.m., five times in the torso and once in the head. Two others were also wounded in the shooting and all were transported to a hospital where Hussle was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. Several days after the murder on April 2nd Eric Holder was arrested and charged with murder. Holder has been held in solitary confinement for fear of retaliation by other inmates.

Upon his death, social media and the internet exploded with condolences from fans and celebrities alike, including the Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti. Soon after his death a petition was started to name the intersection near his store “Nipsey Hussle Square,” and on the day of his funeral it was announced that it was to be renamed to honor him and his contributions to his community. Hussle’s memorial service was held on April 11th at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and was free of charge. The memorial was very large and even included a letter from Barack Obama that praised Nipsey for his work and impact on the community around him.

Since Nipsey’s death people have gathered together to honor him and gang violence has slowed down, as even the Bloods and Crips have come together to honor him. And as seen with many rappers at times of their death, Nipsey Hussle’s music streaming has shot up exponentially as people are listening to his music to remember him. Nipsey only just released his debut album, which has been nominated for the best rap album of 2019 already. His music career was still just beginning and many artists such as Drake and John Legend said they had plans to work with him.

While Nipsey Hussle is known for his career in rapping, he will also be remembered for what he did for his community. Hussle loved Crenshaw and saw more than the gangs and violence within it. He often stated that he wanted to focus on giving solutions and inspiration to young black men like himself. Just hours after his death, he was supposed to meet with city officials on plans to stop gang violence and how to help kids get on the right path. He owned his store in southern L.A. and in February Nipsey, along with his business partner, bought the entire plaza at that intersection with plans to tear it down for a six-story residential building along with new stores. He also owned several other stores in the area including a restaurant, barbershop, and seafood market. At 59th Street Elementary School Hussle gave shoes to all the students and renovated their playgrounds and basketball courts. Last year he also opened a STEM center and co-working space called Vector 90 where he hoped to bridge the gap between inner-city kids and Silicon Valley.