Is climate change dooming the Alps?

Is climate change dooming the Alps?

A sign showing the massive change in the ice just from 2015, only 4 years later it is almost iceless in the same area.

Sara Mount, Staff Writer

Climate change is a rising problem across the world. Pollution and greenhouse gas emission are having an irreversible effect on our ecosystem. New research is predicting how the rising climate will impact the European Alps. This new study is showing the reality of the climate change and how it will impact such a famous mountain range. Research from The Cryosphere states the Alps could lose 90 percent of their ice volume by 2100.

One of the scenarios predicts the change under limited warming of the atmosphere. In this scenario it is predicted the Alps would lose two thirds of the current ice volume, and completely lose it all by 2100. The study was conducted by a team of researchers in Switzerland. The research shows a scary future. The only way to slow the loss of ice is for greenhouse gas emissions to be cut a lot. Most of the loss is expected to occur between 2017-2050, around 50% of the ice. There are around 4000 glaciers in the Alps that will be changing to water over the next few decades.

Reality for the Alps in the future is losing all the ice unless the path of global warming changes. “The future evolution of glaciers will strongly depend on how the climate will evolve,” says study-leader Harry Zekollari, a researcher at ETH Zurich and the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research. If the warming is limited, the glaciers ice loss can be limited. The Alps losing their ice would be an irreversible damage to the Alps.

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

• Is climate change dooming the Alps?

Is climate change dooming the Alps?