Raise awareness to save a life

The yellow ribbon that people wear represents suicide awareness.

Kara Piehl, Staff Writer

September is suicide awareness month. Many people don’t look at their calendars and remember this, but there are so many reasons why this topic is so important. Linked to suicide are suicidal thoughts, depression, and anxiety. About 1 in 4 of humans suffer with mental disorders, and about 800,000 people commit suicide a year. This can affect anyone regardless of age, gender or background.

This month is a time to share your story, to show the real tragedy and devastation of this issue. People spread awareness by getting organizations to come together, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illnesses (NAMI) and the Jason Foundation for youth students. These organizations explain the signs of depression and how ordinary people can help even save a life. Some even connect out to people who have gone through these struggles and show that there are always people who want to help and care about you. They can put you in groups with other people that feel the same way and by letting you know that you have other people there to help you.

COVID 19 was a devastating event that left people quarantined for months. This caused people to feel alone and have certain emotions, such as isolation, stress, and even depression. This has caused the suicide rates to go up. Many friends and family members of these people who are facing these depressions get heart broken when they hear the news. “They are no longer here, they took their own life” is definitely one of the hardest things to hear, especially if it’s someone you loved.

Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among teenagers. One reason for this is due to bullying. Many students get bullied every year; this includes verbal, physical and cyber bullying. About 17.7% of high schoolers have had suicidal thoughts and have considered ending their life.  You never know what is going on in someone’s life. If you are around someone who is being bullied, report it immediately because it can really save someone from harm.

Your family and friends care, and you have people here for you. You are loved, you are important, you have worth. You are never alone. Please, if you are feeling suicidal or know someone who is, reach out to someone or use these resources below.

National Sucide Hotline: +1 800-273-8255

Crisis Hotline: text NAMI to 741-741 to be connected to a free and trained crisis counselor

Sources: www.nami.org

www.childtrends.org