Are movie theaters making a comeback?

”We now expect that on Wednesday July 15, AMC will open approximately 450 theatre locations around the country (representing more than 90% of moviegoing at AMC)” -AMC Theatre

Kiara Perez Cans, Staff Writer

Its not a secret that the Covid-19 pandemic has impacted the world in many ways. One thing affected is the entertainment industry. Not online streaming services but new movies and the movie theatre industry. When the pandemic began theatres were forced to close because the virus needed to be contained.

Since theatres gather many people together in a closed space, they couldn’t open for about 5 months. One of them being our local movie theatre AMC in Woodlands. That time they were closed affected greatly. One of the most known movie theatres, AMC, lost about $2.4 billion. If they didn’t open soon, they would have probably gone out of business. They needed to open as soon as possible. Now our AMC Woodlands theatre is open and you can watch the movies that are available. The deal is that some people aren’t ready to go there. Many people’s question is “Is it safe?” AMC CEO, Adam Aron, responded saying that they upgraded the theatre air filtration systems and other “high-tech solutions” to address transmission of the coronavirus. They are keeping precautions and doing everything they can to stay in business, but they can’t attract people just yet because there’s not many movies arriving. They continue to give movies that came out some time ago. For the most part people still aren’t ready to go to the movie theatre. Some students prefer to stay more cautious and stay at home and others don’t want to risk even more exposure.

We know that Covid-19 isn’t going to disappear and we just have to adapt to these living conditions. For now, the theatre business is in trouble because many people prefer to maintain safe. For them it is very bad news but for businesses like Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, etc. its good news. Is the future of entertainment online streaming?