Coronavirus vaccines to be distributed soon

At first the vaccine will be distributed to health workers, then essential workers, and then everyone else 16 and older.

Jacob Reiter, Staff Writer

Governor Ron DeSantis plans to mass-distribute the COVID-19 vaccine later this month. However, President-elect Biden has already declared a 100 day plan for his first few months in office. His declared goal is to distribute “at least 100 million COVID vaccine shots” as well as requiring masks on interstate buses and in federal buildings. Lastly, he plans to get students back to in-person classes.

Very recently, Britain has begun its mass-distribution of the vaccine and has seen positive results thus far. With Governor DeSantis following suit, Florida could be seeing some of the pandemic-enforced restrictions lifted within a month or so seeing as how the vaccine takes two doses separated by about two weeks. The state is set to receive one to two million doses at first and then 20 million overall. This would make Florida not only the state with the least restrictions, but the first to escape the pandemic while most other states wait until January before they start receiving the vaccine. The current leading vaccine made by Pizer is something relatively new in the world of vaccines; instead of injecting you with a weakened form of the virus, it injects you with RNA. What this does is that once injected the RNA will be absorbed into your cells and they will start producing a protein very similar in structure to COVID-19. As the protein is still considered foreign by the immune system, it will attack the proteins and build immunity to COVID-19. The production of these proteins will only last a few weeks which is long enough for antibodies to be made. Hopefully, life returns to normal in the start of the new year.