The Josh Battle

The+Josh+Battle+initial+Facebook+message+and+pool+noodle+war.+

The Josh Battle initial Facebook message and pool noodle war.

Emma Guenther, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 24th, the Josh Battle, also known as Josh vs. Josh vs. Josh, took place in Lincoln, Nebraska. Hundreds of people who share the name Josh gathered at Air Park, armed with pool noodles, to fight for the right to their name while non-Joshes cheered from the sidelines.

The planning for the event began with a Facebook group message. Josh Swain, a 22-year-old college student from Arizona, sent a Facebook group message last year to as many people he could find who shared his first and last name. Swain invited his name doppelgangers to battle for the right to the name Josh Swain with a date and a random set of coordinates, stating, “We fight, whoever wins gets to keep the name. Everyone else has to change their name, you have a year to prepare, good luck.”

Swain said in a Reddit post that the message was a joke, but the Internet ran with it and he was convinced to organize the event in Lincoln, Nebraska. The original coordinates Swain chose were in the middle of a farm, so he moved it to Air Park. The event was also a food drive and fundraiser, and it began with a battle between the two Josh Swains present. After a heated match of rock-paper-scissors, the organizer of the event emerged victorious. This was followed by a pool noodle fight open to anyone with the first name Josh, which was won by a five-year-old boy who was dubbed Little Josh.

By April 25th, over $10,000 had been raised for the Children’s Hospital and Medical Center Foundation. The Josh Swain noted that he “didn’t have a single idea how the event would play out,” but that the event turned out to be a great experience overall. Many people are suggesting that the battle be made an annual event, with a new name each year.