More harm than good

Parker Fox, Editor-in-Chief

When the new tardy sweeps were announced on Eagle Eye News on Friday, some students were incredulous.  The new policy forces teachers to lock their doors when the late bell rings, leaving those diabolical tardy kids stranded in the hallway.  They must face the consequences of their actions by being forced, against their will, to sit in the cafeteria for about 15 minutes of that class period. 

“I double clutched when I first heard Mr. Poth tell us about the new policy on the announcements,” said senior Jessica Kreps.  “It’s truly amusing that someone thinks that this is a good idea.”

Oddly enough, the students who are tardy to class by so much as ten seconds will miss a substantial part of the class period that they had been attempting to attend.  This is considered to be a punishment.  In a move defying the simplest logic, someone apparently thinks that the kids who are tardy to class regularly actually want to be in class.  Even accomplished students in AP courses don’t necessarily mind having their period cut short by twenty minutes.  But the kids who are tardy consistently to class will enjoy this policy even more.  Being tardy indicates that a student did not take the necessary steps to get to class on time, whether it be out of apathy or the occasional bad break.  In the case of the former, that student definitely does not enjoy or want to be in class anyway.  In the case of the latter, the new policy punishes some poor kid who was actually trying to be there on time.

It is true that tardy students can be disruptive to a teacher and the efficiency of the class.  But doesn’t having the student walk into class twenty minutes late rather than twenty seconds make the situation even more disruptive?  I really do hope that I’m missing something here.  For the sake of the high school that I will remember fondly, I hope that it will be in better hands than this in upcoming years.