How I stay happy and avoid going crazy

A guide to a happy life

Photo provided by Google Images

Stony Hooker, Staff Writer

Many people, especially students, are over stressed. Balancing school, friends, work, and sleep is tough and usually one must be sacrificed to accommodate the other to their full potential. When you sacrifice school, your grade suffers and you become stressed. When you sacrifice friends, you become lonely and stressed. When you sacrifice work, you have no money and you become stressed. When you sacrifice sleep, the other three obligations suffer and you lose everything. The struggle is real and many people have a hard time coping.

I used to take anti-depressants and anxiety medications to manage my feelings and stop myself from having nightly panic attacks. However, even though I was no longer breaking down mentally, I still wasn’t happy. I felt inadequate for having to take medication to function properly. I resented going to the therapist and refused to accept that the visits were working. My independent spirit felt that I could conquer my mental instability without medicine.

So, one day, without telling my mother, I stopped taking my medication. The first few days were rough. I was back to crying myself to sleep and lashing out with anger against everything. I became a trouble child, racking up 27 referrals in school, getting into multiple fights, drinking alcohol excessively, and doing many things I am not proud of. I knew this wasn’t me; this wasn’t the person I wanted to be. I had to find a way to balance my emotions and succeed in life.

After many years of trial and error I have created a life that works for me. I am happy with myself and with the world around me. I changed my life be finding simple things that worked for me. I have decided to write down my tips to hopefully help someone else who may be struggling.

1. Sleep– As I explained in the first paragraph, sleep is very important. Without sleep, everything is out of balance and everything fails. Sleep is proven to help with productivity and attitude. Before I started down my path towards a happier life, I would constantly stay up late and into the next morning. I found I had problems going to sleep, even if I wanted to, even if I was tired. I began to take Melatonin (a natural sleep aid) to help me fall asleep. After a few months of going to sleep at an earlier time, I came off the Melatonin and I now can go to sleep when I want.
  2. Find a hobby– I found that I was better off when I was busy. My dissatisfaction with life came from idleness. I joined sports and my grades improved, even though I had less time to do my homework. Find something you enjoy that is productive, something to strive for along with your goals of succeeding in school.
  3. Don’t worry about the grade– I have never personally experienced test anxiety. The simple truth I have found is that when you worry, you do worse. On test day, I come confident knowing that I will do my best and that if I pay attention in class I will have all the tools I need to succeed.
  4. Have a sense of humor– Laughter is the best medicine. There are so many terrible things in this world that it is easy to be taken by sadness and grief. Learn to laugh and be open to all jokes. Sometimes making jokes about situations is the best way to cope with it. Even though the situation may not be funny, the joke can be funny. Lighten up!
  5. Have a few close friends– Although you should strive to be on good terms with everyone, a close circle of friends who you trust is vital. Good friends will have your back and pick you up when you are down, you can trust them with secrets and they can do the same. When everything else falls apart, it’s good to have friend to fall on.

I hope that these tips will help someone become happier because I know they helped me.

• How I stay happy and avoid going crazy

How I stay happy and avoid going crazy