Blood drive review

I made Charlotte take this picture of me less than three minutes after I awoke from my slumber.

Photo provided by Charlotte Arndt

Photo provided by Charlotte Arndt

Addy Burwell, Staff Writer

Last Friday at our school’s final blood drive of the year, I had my first experience ever with donating blood. Although I was turned away due to a lack of iron during my previous attempt, I was ready to go with a Hemoglobin count of 13.4 and was extremely excited to save three lives and get a t shirt. Unfortunately, things did not exactly turn out as I had hoped; however, my experience surrounding the event is mainly positive.

Upon arrival at the blood drive, I was greeted with a smile by junior Shannon McWaters, who makes wonderful peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I ate one of them, drank a complete bottle of water, and entered the gym lobby where a pint of my precious blood cells was to exit my circulatory system. My dear friend, Charlotte Arndt, was just finishing her donation as I was walking into the room, so she decided to keep me company for my first blood donation ever. With a sugary apple juice in hand, I sat in the chair next to Charlotte and was briefed on the process of donating blood. The blood nurse, Jeff, was very nice but obviously concerned with how small I am as a human. Standing at 5 foot and weighing in at 115 pounds, I barely meet the height and weight requirement that is mandatory for donating, so he said he would keep an eye on me as I filled the bag.

Everything so far had been going perfectly, and I was really enjoying my experience as a donor. Even the start of my actual donating was fun. While the initial needle wasn’t pleasant, I felt super relaxed as my blood left my body. Unfortunately, I hit a snag after about eight and a half minutes of filling up a bag with a pint of my DNA. I started to sweat a lot and I couldn’t hear anything. It turns out I kind of passed out, and I woke up with a nurse I didn’t know shaking my arm, Jeff closing my vein, and Charlotte catching the apple juice I dropped as I started falling out of the chair.

So maybe Jeff was right—I am a little small to donate blood–but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy myself. Like I said, I was thrilled to donate blood, and the free snacks and t shirt provide an incentive for the cause. There were a couple of other pros, too—for instance, my mom had to pick me up from school so I got to miss an AP Euro test that everyone said was super hard. I also have a exciting conversation starter now about how I passed out at a school blood drive. Overall, my experience with Oneblood services is one for the books. Although I did pass out, I did donate the full amount of blood. I would consider donating again if they took maybe a little bit less, but for now I am pretty (B) positive that I will not be providing my blood again in the future. Maybe it is selfish to not save three human lives at any chance I have, but I would rather not pass out again.

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

• Blood drive review

Blood drive review