Golf: sport or stupid?

Photo provided by SportsMemes.net

Max Jimenez, Staff Writer

The word “Sport” comes from the Old French desport meaning “leisure”, with the oldest definition in English from around 1300 being “anything humans find amusing or entertaining”. Golf is far from amusing and entertaining by a longshot.

I guess that you could say golf requires skills to be good at the game, if those skills were having a sizable bank account, an open schedule, and an appetite for “clubhouse” food, copious amounts of alcohol, and dry conversations.

Golf is a last resort for bored retirees, and people who have failed at every other sport there is.

All jokes aside, every sport requires hours and hours of hard work and dedication, if you want to reach the pinnacle of the sport. Golf is no different with the amount of time you must put in, but is certainly less rewarding in my opinion.

I am under the impression that nobody is masterful at golf, because of the way the game is designed. Golf, unlike any other sport, requires you to use different equipment for almost every play. Unlike Basketball, baseball, or football, there is not a standardized playing area every time you play golf. For golfers on the PGA Tour, they must travel to different courses for each event, and each day the hole on the green is moved to a different location.

In my opinion, having a randomized playing area hinders the use of strategy during the game. For example, envision an NFL where every game, they groundskeepers changed the dimensions, and location of the end zone. There would be no need for playbooks, watching film, offensive coordinators, and coaches, as they would have little to no influence on the outcome of the game.

Players on the pro tour can’t watch film and run through every likely scenario of a golf course, because they play on hundreds of different courses throughout the year. It is preposterous to believe that golf is a sport, when you so heavily rely on the weather and 14 different clubs.

A sport should require talent, skill, and hard work. I am not denying the fact that professional golf players are very dedicated to this this “sport”, but I am denying that a game where you need somebody to stand by your side the entirety of a competition and tell you which club to use should even be called a sport at all.

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

• Golf: sport or stupid?

Golf: sport or stupid?