How necessary is math

Chase Cantin, Staff Writer

As time goes on technology is only improving. Long hand written formulas and processes are now being solved in mere seconds by just a few keystrokes on an advanced calculator. Calculators can calculate just about every concept, at least in terms of high school and college math, and not only can they just calculate them, but they solve problems more efficiently and with much less room to make a mistake. This brings to question, how useful is learning advanced math classes in school?

The purpose of high school and school in general is to prepare people for the real world, so that they may be educated enough to go out into the real world and work and function and be productive. While I previously questioned the functionality of math in the real world it was not to say it is useless; in fact, math is used in everyday life. We subconsciously calculate without even thinking about it, performing simple additions and subtractions in our head because of our teaching in the past. However this math is very simple and doesn’t require much effort. This simple math is very important for us to just live life like normal; however, advanced math practices fall very short as nobody performs formulas in their heads, rather they pull out a calculator, usually on their phones, if something proves to be complex.

While all jobs require a basic knowledge of math, subjects like calculus and algebra are heavily underutilized in the work force. The sad truth is that many things learned in high school are fairly pointless for the majority of people who work normal jobs.

One fair argument is to question: “What about jobs the jobs that DO need this information?” It is true also that there are quite a few jobs that would call for knowledge on these subjects but the last time many people touched these subjects would be in high school or maybe earlier in their college careers. People just end up re-teaching themselves these old things; however, in the real world they have access to whatever resources they need. All the work they thought had to be performed in the past is now simplified by hopping on the computer and typing in the function.

A great solution to many of these issues would be to reevaluate the material taught to students in high school. Rather than teach classes that only apply to about 10 percent of the students later in life, teach classes that all students can benefit from and then leave the advanced classes to later in college where the information is retained longer and they also would have more access to more resources. This would not only prepare students for the real world but also remove much of the frustration that average students experience by having to take math classes they know they won’t need.

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

• How necessary is math

How necessary is math