How necessary is math?

Calculator skills should be taught in school.

Chase Cantin, Staff Writer

As time goes on, technology only gets more powerful, and with that calculations only become easier to perform through outlets such as the internet and calculators. School is a method of learning how to perform these calculations by writing them down on paper with use of calculators to help out with these processes.  However this must beg the question, is a traditional math class that important?

The answer to this question is a complicated one; however, I believe the answer to be a partial no. In this day and age calculators have the power to solve full length math calculations involving variables, graphing and other complications. This is a huge step up from the simple calculators of the past that could only perform four functions. When students look at complicated problems, if they can interpret what they see, then they can plug it into a calculator and it will likely solve the entire problem for them as long as they understand what they are reading.

This is what I would suggest to improve efficiency: rather than teaching traditional math classes, schools should teach students how to more properly perform on their calculators. By doing this students would become much more efficient and be much more prepared for the real world, where people only use calculators anyway. For what I have observed there are a fairly decent amount of students who cannot properly navigate a calculator in order to solve higher level complex problems. By simply teaching students all of the features of a calculator, when they get exposed to the complexity of certain problems it wouldn’t appear as daunting.

The introduction of these classes might not be a replacement to math classes; however, I do believe that a class to teach students to utilize calculators would be very influential on the ability of many students. I took a class about computer knowledge and I believe that calculators have the ability to be just as complex as a computer can be when it comes to navigating it. There isn’t much of a reason why calculators shouldn’t be treated the same. Maybe schools could even teach this class in the computer knowledge class, as they are both relatively similar.

So overall, an addition onto the classes given in school would be very influential on students who try to excel in higher level math classes. No matter when this class could be given, it would be very important for the future of students.

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

• How necessary is math?

How necessary is math?