The best holiday cookies to make this season

The classics, clichés, and simply crazy cookie collection

The modern sugar cookie can actually be traced back 
to the mid-1700s in Nazareth, Pennsylvania.

Photo provided by lolfoodie.com

The modern sugar cookie can actually be traced back to the mid-1700s in Nazareth, Pennsylvania.

Tori Valby, Staff Writer

If you want Santa to leave behind all of the gifts that you asked for, you have to leave him something he is going to enjoy, delicious cookies! Christmas cookies encompass such an important part of the holiday season, so while you are deciding which ones you are going to whip up in the kitchen this Christmas, let me help by providing a few ideas that will not only leave Santa feeling content, but you and your family as well.

Let us start with the classics. The cookie-cutter sugar cookies are not only delicious, but they are inexpensive and 100% guaranteed the most exciting cookie to destroy your kitchen counters baking. The everyday, normal circular cookies are no match for these works of art. And if you are looking to go above and beyond with these cookies, quickly mix up confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla for a quick, easy icing glaze. Also, find your food coloring and add a bit of color to the glaze! These will win the family over, as long as you scrub the cookie dough and flour off of the counter! And of course, there are chocolate chip cookies, but those are about as exciting as coal in your stocking.

Everybody knows of these, yet they aren’t “as” popular to bake, at least in my household. Gingersnaps and gingerbread men are easy and cute, but the flavor simply doesn’t contain any “pizazz.” Snickerdoodles, rolled in butter, oil, sugar and then rolled in cinnamon sugar are simple, yet elegant. Then, peanut butter blossom cookies, or as some of us know them, the heavenly peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss pressed in the center. If you have yet to have one of these, you have been missing out on a delicacy created by the baking gods themselves. There is just something about chocolate and peanut butter mixed with Christmas- unexplainable joy. While we are on the peanut butter topic, Buckeyes are a common treat as well. Basically, a ball of peanut butter dipped in chocolate and again, delicious.

Now for the finale, here are a few cookie ideas that are a good idea to try if you are an adventurous individual or have previously won a Food Network baking competition. Garlic brittle cookies, where a dash of garlic is somehow harmoniously combined with chocolate chips and walnut brittle to create the ultimate treat for a holiday cookie. Easy to taste but hard to see, the garlic provides for interesting surprise to those taste buds. Zucchini jalapeno cookies with a lime glaze incorporate many ingredients of which I choose not to eat on a regular basis, let alone in a cookie, but the title alone was one that I simply had to include. And last but not least, the Philly cheesesteak cookie, with paprika, pepper flakes, grated cheddar cheese, and dehydrated onions! And top off this delicious decadence, tomato cream-cheese frosting! Doesn’t get much better than that, my friends!

So, as you are contemplating the cookie dilemma this year for the Christmas season, remember there are more recipes out there than you think. Whether you prefer salty, sweet, a little mix of both, or a cookie in which all the ingredients seem more realistic for a dinner recipe than your cookies, there is a cookie for you!

• The best holiday cookies to make this season