No meat for a week

Could I complete an entire week with none of my favorite foods?

A Chipotle “sofritas” burrito was one of my early venture in the week

Max Jimenez, Staff Writer

On Monday January 15th I had set a new challenge for myself to face. I had decided that starting that day I was going to try not to eat any meat, poultry or fish for 7 days straight. This seemed like a very tall task at the time for me because of the fact that my favorite food in the world is a perfect cheeseburger. Each day I kept track of what I ate and was very careful to make no mistakes during what may have the most boring week of my life.

Day 1:

Breakfast: For the most important meal of the day, I slept through it.

Lunch: I wanted something that would hold me over until it was time for the daunting task of figuring out what to eat for dinner. I drove to Smoothie King and bought one of their meal replacement smoothies, and it was quite good.

Dinner: This meal was going to make or break me, so I made sautéed spinach and had a ton of tomatoes while watching my family enjoy a delicious seafood pasta.

Day 2:

On the second day, I knew I would have to become creative to ensure that I could continue on with this challenge while still eating enough protein and not going overboard with too many carbs. For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled, and for lunch I had made a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For dinner that day I went to a Chipotle restaurant, and I was yearning for a steak burrito, but forced myself to settle for their “sofritas,” which is Chipotle’s version of tofu.

Day 3:

Breakfast: I took advantage of the school’s free breakfast and had acquired some Pop Tarts.

Lunch: I made a grilled cheese sandwich accompanied by some applesauce.

Dinner: This dinner was actually very good; I had a really good caprese salad, and some mixed vegetables on the side.

Day 4:

Breakfast: I brought a Nature Valley granola bar to school, and it did not last long until I was ready to leave school and go buy some food.

Lunch: During Lunch, I ventured to Publix to buy a veggie Pub Sub yet quickly grew impatient when a herd of elderly people decided to order food from the Deli section. This trip took a turn for the worst and I settled with some Publix cookies and left.

Dinner: For dinner I had a Lentil Vegetable soup that I will make sure to never have again.

Day 5:

Breakfast: On this Friday, I woke up half an hour late, and had no time to buy or make any breakfast.

Lunch: On the way back from getting my car washed, I decided to have a Jimmy John’s Veggie Sandwich. With plenty of avocado spread, cucumbers and cheese, this sandwich never disappoints. I saved the other half of the sandwich to ensure I had something good to eat for the next day.

Dinner:  For dinner my mother made a Vegetable Pasta that included bell peppers and tomatoes.

Day 6:

Breakfast: I didn’t eat breakfast on Day 6

Lunch:  For lunch, I had the remainder of my Jimmy John’s Sandwich from the day before.

Dinner: I cooked a veggie burger for this meal on my second to last day of the week.

Day 7:

Breakfast: I made two scrambled eggs and had some great dried mangoes.

Lunch: The timeless, yet elegant Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich.

Dinner: For dinner, we went out to eat at PF Chang’s. I had their Ma Po Tofu, which is crispy tofu served in a spicy chili sauce with steamed broccoli and rice. By far, this was one of my favorite meals I had during the week.

Conclusion: In conclusion, a week with no meat did not have any profound effect on me whatsoever. Throughout these 7 days, my energy level and overall feeling stayed consistent with that of the week prior to my 7-day venture in to the realm of vegetarianism. Would I do this again? I would say so, but I would make sure to shop for the week beforehand to ensure I had enough options to try throughout the week and may even go as far as to plan out my week of meals ahead of time.

One of my go-to options, the Jimmy John’s #6 Vegetarian

P.F. Chang’s Ma Po Tofu did not disappoint.

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

• No meat for a week

No meat for a week