Is college worth it?

Will Hasell, Entertainment/Editorials Editor

As senior year approaches its final days, college decisions are all that anyone has been talking about. All this talk about higher education prompted me to assess the true value of a college degree. Although this seems like a simple assessment, it was something I had never actually done. Throughout high school, I was so concerned with getting into and preparing for college that I had never taken a step back to actually ask “Why am I doing this and will it pay off?” With skyrocketing student loan debts, this a necessary question we must all ask ourselves as we get closer to graduation.

At first glance at the statistics, a college degree seems well worth it; on average, college graduates with four-year degrees will earn about a million dollars more than high school graduates in their life. This is great, but according to The Wall Street Journal, the average student loan debt is $37,172. This has nearly doubled since 20 years ago and is still on the rise. Another study shows that 7 out of 10 seniors graduated with over $28,000 in student loan debts. Many students are even willing to take on six-figure debt to obtain a degree from esteemed universities. Although a college degree is still a valuable asset for higher-paying jobs, studies show that the value and effectiveness of a degree is not directly correlated to the price.  According to a survey conducted by Gallup, only 9% of business leaders consider where a job applicant went to school to be “very important.” Business leaders are really looking for job experience, interpersonal skills, and leadership ability.

Overall, yes, a college degree is worth it, but it depends on how much you paid for it. An cheaper in-state college will provide an education and job-readiness that is well worth the money compared to Ivy Leagues.

Is college worth it?