If you could travel anywhere…

The greatest locations to visit over spring break

The Victoria Falls are truly breathtaking, lying on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Photo provided by newsday.co.zw

Tori Valby, Staff Writer

If you could go anywhere in the world over spring break, had unlimited funding and infinite curiosity, let me introduce you to the top 6 locations in the world that never fail to disappoint their visitors. These destinations are starred on the maps with beautiful beaches, skyscraping mountains, and whimsical caves, and prove that there is so much more to the world than Palm Harbor, Florida.

The first location is actually right here in the USA. Located in Colorado, Maroon Bells is one of the most photographed scenes in the entire country. The Maroon Bells are two 14,000-foot peaks within the Elk Mountains. Their reflections can be seen in the crystal-clear lake within a glacial valley- just the description alone makes me want to go. Apparently in the summer, the reflections are most apparent along with rows and rows of wild flowers. There is a hiking trail that is great for exercise and experiencing the essence of it all firsthand.  Number two is Oia, a village in Santorini, Greece. Located on the top of a cliff, this floating city is difficult to look away from. From the city you can see the Palea volcano and the island of Thirassia. The old stone houses, narrow streets and “blue-dome” churches put you in a trance, as the culture is just captivating. While there are shops and cafés, the village is quieter than the tourist driven villages like Fira, allowing visitors to enjoy the scenic aspects of the Greece.

Next, we jump over to Plitvice Lakes, Croatia. I have always heard of the shimmering, aqua-colored waters of this country, and after seeing several pictures now, our Rainbow River has nothing on this place. On the coast of the Adriatic Sea, these lakes are surrounded by ancient forests, waterfalls, bridges, and a variety of wildlife ranging from bears and wolves to boards and birds. Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia is next, where the most iconic picture is the never-ending desert scene that is actually once a prehistoric lake that dried up. Now it is an 11,000 square kilometer salt-flat that with abstract rock formations and cacti. It is the largest salt flat in the world, and though the wildlife and greenery are limited, it is a must see. Torres del Paine National Park in Chile is next and the blue, crystal-like waters return. Located at the southern tip of the Andes, this National Park has it all. From mountains, floating icebergs, and glaciers to lakes, rock formations, fjords, and golden pampas (treeless plains), every type of dazzling, geographic formation is present.

Finally, we have the Victoria Falls, right on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. I thought I would save the best for last, not only because of the name, but the amazing scenery as well! Locals say this destination has “incomparable beauty and majesty.” The waterfall, so large and breathtaking, can be heard from over 30 miles away, as the waters plummet over the edge of the cliff into the gorge 100 meters below! After the water hits the gorge, the enormous spray can be seen from 50 km away and creates permanent clouds and mists in the air. With these mists, it is guaranteed that there will always be a rainbow in sight. What place could be more magical than a place where there was always a rainbow?

Even though I am most likely going to Clearwater Beach for most of the week next week, it is always interesting to see what is out there. I have made it my goal to visit at least some of these places one day, being that pictures simply don’t do them justice.

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

• If you could travel anywhere…

If you could travel anywhere…