Should all phone policies be the same throughout classrooms?

Students sometimes respect the policies; other times, they do not.

Savannah Henslee, Staff Writer

Cellphones in classrooms have long been a problem. This is because some students do not use phone privileges properly and/or they use their phones in class when it is not allowed. For this reason, many teachers have different views and rules when it comes to phones in class.

For example, there are some teachers who have a strict “no phones” policy. With these teachers, anyone caught on their phone in class will likely have to face some kind of punishment, and the severity of the punishment usually depends on how many times that student has gotten in trouble, but some teachers do not change their punishment based on that because they keep the punishment the same for any rulebreaker.

Some others are less strict. They do not allow phones in class during class while they would be a distraction. For instance, if the teacher or even another student is speaking to the class or notes are being taken then phones are expected to be put away. On the other hand, if a student or students are done with whatever is being worked on and sometimes while they are working, as long as they continue working without being distracted and without distracting others, then many of these teachers will allow phone usage at that time. These teachers will also likely take these privileges away if they are abused.

Although the first two are the most likely scenarios, there are some teachers who have no real phone policies. These teachers do not care if phones are used in class. Students can be on their phones at pretty much any time during class. Although there are teachers that do this, there are not many.

Teachers are not the only people with opinions on having and using phones in class. Each student has their own viewpoints as well.

For instance, some students agree with the stricter policy because they do not want the distractions, while others agree with the slightly less strict policy because they like having the opportunity to use their phones at times, then there are some who agree with the teachers who do not have much of a phone policy if any because they feel they should be allowed on their phone whenever they want.

Each teacher and each student may have different viewpoints and different reasoning, but teachers ultimately get to make the decision and usually they make the decision based on what works best for the class being taught. If there is a lot of stuff to cover each day or a lot to get done, then it makes sense for phones to not be allowed to make sure the work gets done. On the other hand, in a class with less going on each day and less to work on it makes sense for a teacher to allow phones as long as the work still gets done. Different phone policies are necessary because there is no ‘one right policy’ that works for all classes or teachers.

• Should all phone policies be the same throughout classrooms?

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

Save the Date

It’s Cuffing Season

Don’t Try This at Home

Queen of Rock

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

Come See All My Sons!

Bring back the mullet, or die trying