Beachy keen

This is perfection.

This is perfection.

This is perfection.

Emily Rollins, Staff Writer

Waves swiftly crashing against the soft, sugar sand shore. Warm, vibrant rays of sunshine. Brisk breezes slightly flowing back my hair. The taste of the salt water. The smell of the sunscreen. And of course, some fresh fruit on the side. These are the summer days I value most and often find myself looking forward to after a long, tiring week filled with obligation and work. And it is clear that many people could agree. The beach is the perfect place to go to after a long stressful week of work, for relaxing romantic date night, or celebratory occasion filled with friends and laughter. However, many anti-beach lovers may claim that the ocean waters frighten them, and the inconvenience and annoyance of the sand and salt overshadows the simple pleasure of enjoying the beach.

The ocean is home to a variety of rather scary creatures, such as stingrays, sharks, snakes. But it is also home to many of the most beautiful; dolphins, seahorses, and sand dollars. And although the sand may be a nuisance in the car on the drive home, its soft warmth is the perfect pillow to lay on. The salty concentration of the ocean water is claimed by many to burn the eyes, tangle the hair, and bring distaste onto the tongue. And don’t forget to mention the slightly painful sandspurs that always so easily find their way on the bottom of one’s foot. Yet, in a way, the beach would not be the beach without these things.

Florida is home to one of America’s best beaches, mostly due to its location in the middle of the Gulf and its southern end touching the blue Caribbean waters. Clearwater Beach, Siesta Key, West Palm Beach, and of course Key West are only some examples of prime destinations for Florida tourists and natives. Since there is no hiking in this part of the country, most people spend their weekends on the water. Whether it be boating, tanning on the beach, fishing, making sandcastles, or going jet skiing, time can be easily occupied in the sun. Beaches can come in all different shapes and sizes, as there are black sand beaches, pink sand beaches, sand dune filled beaches, rocky beaches, cliffed beaches, coves, and smooth sugar sand Caribbean beaches. For all the beach lovers out there, you are definitely spending your weekends right.

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

• Beachy keen

Beachy keen