AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

A debate between two similar types of classes

AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Though determining which type of class to take is a tough task indeed, evaluating your schedule and how much you like being at your high school is very helpful in determining which is best for you.

Mario Shontz, Staff Writer

At the start of every year, as every counselor knows, schedules are being changed left and right by people in every single grade level. For many, it is a very stressful time of the year, and it is unsure whether or not you will get the class you want to take, who will be in that class with you, and if you will have any classes with your friends. One decision that many have to make is whether to take an AP class or take a Dual Enrollment class. This is an important topic for those who are trying to get into top colleges, so laying out the differences in taking the two types of classes is helpful in making a decision.

One of the reasons that people decide to take a Dual Enrollment course is to receive a college-level education while still in high school. As a bonus, it is completely free.  While so are AP classes, Dual Enrollment classes offer another bonus – if you pass the class, you are guaranteed college credit. In an AP class, passing the class does not necessarily mean earning college credit – that is decided by how well you do on the AP Test at the end of the year. That means that having an easy teacher for an AP Class isn’t a good thing – a teacher that will prepare you for the test and has a tougher class is much more desirable in the long run, although doing well in the class is still important for your GPA. It is generally accepted, however, that colleges prefer AP classes to Dual Enrollment classes, so that is also something to consider.

In the end it is a matter of choice. As so eloquently said by Amber McGinnis, a senior, “I don’t take Dual Enrollment classes because I don’t want miss out on the high school experience; I take AP Classes because I like dying.” So as you can see, it is more a matter of opinion, and the decision is pretty clear for those that are as passionate about the topic as Amber. For those who really like their school or have time constraints and want to take advanced classes, taking AP Classes is the way to go. If you dislike your school, or want to get your college GPA started, then Dual Enrollment is the way to go. Even if you do happen to like the school you go to, Dual Enrollment could be a good choice for you as East Lake does have Composition 1 and 2 on campus and is planning on adding more dual enrollment courses next year.

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Save the Date

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

It’s Cuffing Season

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Don’t Try This at Home

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Queen of Rock

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Come See All My Sons!

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

• AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?

AP Classes or Dual Enrollment?