Bagpipe Hate

A very serious essay on why bagpipes shouldn’t exist

Bagpipes are an unfortunate staple of Scottish music that for some are enjoyable to listen to
Picture provided by cashboxcanada.ca

Bagpipes are an unfortunate staple of Scottish music that for some are enjoyable to listen to Picture provided by cashboxcanada.ca

Mario Shontz, Staff Writer

It all began when I entered sixth grade as a student at Dunedin Highland Middle.  With the school having a Celtic background and a Highlander as the mascot, it was essential for the band to feature bagpipe players.  At least according to the band teacher apparently.  All I know is that I would almost rather hear a fork on a plate than the screeching sounds that come out of a bagpipe that is somehow called music.  I think the fork on a plate is probably more irritating, but the bagpipes are a close second.

Picture provided by cashboxcanada.ca

While every instrument requires skill, and even people who play the bagpipe I respect for learning it, I just don’t understand why anybody would choose to learn that instrument over all the other nicer sounding ones.  No one at a party picks up a bagpipe and starts playing it for everyone to hear and enjoy. The guy at the party who knows bagpipes is not the same guy that everyone wants to be friends with. For that, you need to learn guitar, learn piano, learn the saxophone, anything is better than a bagpipe.  I would rather hear loud drumming and cymbals than a bagpipe playing.  I feel like even some Scottish people don’t like the sound of it. Perhaps they just make themselves like it because it’s part of their culture.

Perhaps one of the draws to the bagpipes, especially in a school band, is that they make a statement and draw a lot of attention. If bagpipes are playing, everyone has their attention on the people playing the bagpipes. They certainly are the loudest instruments there.  I think a lot of that attention is negative, as I know that many of my peers have shared the same sentiments about bagpipes, and I have even seen some people cover their ears at the sound of them.  Though at the end there is applause and compliments to those playing the bagpipes, I believe that no one wants to be the vocal one about the sound of those instruments. Maybe if more people spoke up about it there could finally be a revolution to eliminate the instrument once and for all from society, or at least keep them in Scotland!

• Bagpipe Hate

Bird Box Challenge

• Bagpipe Hate

Emily Rollins Biography

• Bagpipe Hate

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

• Bagpipe Hate

Save the Date

• Bagpipe Hate

It’s Cuffing Season

• Bagpipe Hate

Don’t Try This at Home

• Bagpipe Hate

Queen of Rock

• Bagpipe Hate

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• Bagpipe Hate

Come See All My Sons!

• Bagpipe Hate

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

Bagpipe Hate