What is coffee to you?

Your knight in shining armor or your demon in disguise

If I can't take my coffee break something inside of me dies! LifestyleMonster

Kinou Louis-Charles, Ad Manager

There are songs, fast food restaurants, and paintings based off of this liquid stimulant. This dark brown cup of energy has been the first thing on people’s minds in the morning, bringing them ecstatic joy once they’ve finally had their first sip. Coffee is a hero to many, but it is also a declared foe to others for whatever reason they can think of. Find out which side you are on: do you come to the defense of the desirable drink or do you stay clear of the forbidden fruit at all cost? 

Coffee is known for giving you energy and it’s one of the main reasons why people drink it in the morning. Coffee helps adults and students get through a day of work or school by helping them be more alert and attentive to what’s going on around them. Along with stimulating your mind, it stimulates your body too. With the caffeine inside the coffee, the drink increases your adrenaline levels, making your body more prepared for physical intensity. So, if you are one who needs a bit more energy to make it through the day you just may need a sip of coffee. 

Isabelle Miranda, a frequent coffee drinker, shares her view on coffee stating that it is a “good choice if you want something sweet in the morning and you don’t want to have candy. [it is also] a great way to wake up and not be grumpy all day.” 

In many studies it is found that coffee is also a great source of antioxidants. The drink contains strong antioxidants like hydrocinnamic acids and polyphenols. Hydrocinnamic acids can balance harmful molecules within your body, and polyphenols contribute to fighting diseases like heart disease and type two diabetes. Therefore, coffee is more on the healthy side of the spectrum. 

Although coffee sounds like the ultimate super drink, one must always pay close attention to the fine print. Even though caffeine is great for a much-needed energy boost, it can simultaneously cause lack of sleep and anxiety. Along with this, coffee can also become addictive, causing withdraw symptoms like headaches or brain fog. With these effects, coffee isn’t for everyone depending on how their body handles caffeine. 

Luke Foster, a junior at East Lake High School, says that he is not so interested in coffee. He explains that he finds coffee “weird,” detailing more by saying it’s “a liquid but it has such a dry taste.” 

Did you figure out if coffee is your friend or not? It’s always a good idea to know what effects your drink may have on you and your body whether it’s good or bad. Since everyone is different not all answers will be the same; coffee isn’t always someone’s cup of tea, but it can be another’s hero.